Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snows

Snows

For those of you hunting them in the LML....lots of them flying around/over Vancouver the past couple days. A lot of flocks tonight while walking the pooch.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Snows

Hopefully some of them will make an appearance on the island!
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Anyone else find its been a slow start this season with all the warm weather?

Quote Originally Posted by deltawaterfowler View Post
    Anyone else find its been a slow start this season with all the warm weather?
    I'd agree with that. I poked around in the marsh last weekend and thought I would see more activity. A few smallish groups of snows and a big flock off of Westham, but better suited for sun tanning than hunting. They will come though...

Except for one Canada on opening day I was skunked until two nights ago when I did an evening hunt in Boundary. I did feel the weather contributed to not that many opportunities but at the same time my buddies were getting their share from the opps that came in. Lots of pintail. I got a shoveler too so maybe that should go against my count :P

Any tips on pass shooting snow geese other than being under their flight path? I've watched guys sky bust and nothing drops out of the air. I usually pass on shooting them as they look way out of range for a 2-3/4" shell. Assuming they are in low flight, and maybe having a magnum round, what is the technique in terms of lead and shooting overhead snow geese to bring them down?

if trying to pass shoot snow geese,,,,,,go to thrift store buy a couple used white pillow cases,,,,,,,split down middle so you have 2,,,,,,grab one in each hand,,,and start flapping to mimmick landing goose,,,,works better if more than one person is doing it aswell,,,sometimes they will turn to do a fly over to inspect,,,,works really well on Canada geese aswell,,,,with light brown pillow cases,,,,only for pass shooting though,,,dont try to do if they locking up on decoys though,,,way to much movement
    Aim small,,miss small

Great tip, may give it a shot.

I listened to snows flying over all night and they were all over the marsh today. I could have had a few shots but only had 2 3/4 4s and didn't want to take a chance on wounding one. Maybe will bring some heavier artillery next time. Ducks still thin on the ground yesterday and today. Had a few bunches decoy but pretty quiet. How did others do?

I used to hunt a lot snow back in early 80's and and 90's before steel shots. Had no problems knocking em down with Remington Nitro 3" no#4 lead up to 65 yards. Snow geese are real easy to come down. Last time I went snow geese hunting about 15 years ago was out my friend's punt and we were pass shooting them where the flocks coming from the farmer's field into ocean. I was using Kent's 3" magnum no#1 knocking em down up to 45 yards.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."