Thread: Chinook Smoking Advice Requested

Chinook Smoking Advice Requested

So I have a number of chinook fillets that I'm planning to smoke, though I've never smoked pieces that are this thick. Typically, I've smoked smaller coho and sockeye fillets but these ones vary in thickness from about less than 1" to about 2.5". I plan to cut them into smaller strips about 3 or 4 inches wide, but there is that difference in thickness. I don't want the thinner parts to be overcooked.

So what to do? Looking for some suggestions on how you handle this.

Cheers,
    Angus
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Chinook Smoking Advice Requested

Slice them in 1"x1" thick slices and brine them that way.
    I prefer wet brine it seems to always better enter the meat.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Arrow Re: Chinook Smoking Advice Requested

Under the circumstances posted, I would suggest stacking the thicker pieces closest yo the heat source, and the thinner ones higher up. Do this all the time myself.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thanks fellas.
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

The purpose of the brine is to pull moisture out of the fillets and that is why I use dry brine. I take my fillets and put them in vacuum sealed bags along with the dry brine mix. These bags then go in the fridge for a minimum of 2 days, longer for the thicker pieces. I then put them in the deep freeze, you will find that they take a longer time to freeze due to the salt content. When I want smoked salmon out comes the quantity that will be used and in the smoker it goes. You will not get freezer burn on these fillets as they will be frozen in liquid and last a very long time in the freezer.

You can also use these fillets on the BBQ and turn out amazing.