Thread: Thanks Giving Goose Hunt with the boys!

Hybrid View

Thanks Giving Goose Hunt with the boys!

Had the pleasure of spending the morning in the field with some great friends I got to meet because of the HuntingBC community.

Hard to believe this was January 2008, this was the first time I shared the blind with Shotgun John and what an amazing shoot to start off a friendship / hunting partner now going on over 14 years, John was behind the camera .

Yesterday I had the privilege's of sharing the edge of a corn field with Shotgun John and 3 others (can't remember their names on here and not sure if they want me to say their first names) I've shared blinds with in the past as well as a first time experience for my 10 year old.

I had gone hunting grouse on Saturday with Skadi and he saw me collect my gear and the dog and asked if I was going hunting. I was heading out with a coworker this time and there was no room for him to tag along on that trip. On the way out of the woods I received a text from John about a goose hunt for Monday morning.

Sunday morning: I was gathering my goose decoys and waterfowl gear together and I could tell he was interested in checking things out by the questions he was asking. So I asked his mom if it was OK for him to come with me and asked john if he minded my young fell tagging along as a spectator and he said sure. Usually when I'm trying to get him out of bed for school it takes 2 or 3 tried to get him out of bed. This time at 5:30am it only took "do you want to go hunting and he was out of bed like a shot looking for his clothes.

Monday Morning: Usually when I'm trying to get him out of bed for school it takes 2 or 3 tried to get him out. This time at 5:30am it only took "do you want to go hunting" and he was out of bed like a spring looking for his clothes.

He was wearing some of my gear I collected over the years, it was big on him but he was covered head to toe in camo (except for the work gloves he wanted to wear).

The young fella was fairly quiet and stayed still in the blind. We had lots of birds working the decoys and plenty of opportunities to shoot so he got quite the show. We ended the morning with 17 Greater Canada's and one lonely Speck to put the Icing on the cake. We didn't shoot limits, but you know what? Sometimes it's more about the laughter and friendly jabs at each other in the blind then filling the freezer.

I have to say that sitting around the table after the hunt, drinking coffee and talking about hunting in itself would have been a rewarding enough to do it all again. Thanks again Tanya for an amazing Breakfast!

Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Thanks Giving Goose Hunt with the boys!

Good job Marc. Especially taking the young one out. 17 geese is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    Good job Marc. Especially taking the young one out. 17 geese is a good day.
    Farmer you’re right, it was an exceptional day, we all went home with some birds and had a great time.

I was chatting with my brother and saying I wished my father was around to experience what we are experiencing now with the population numbers where they are. My dad shot two geese in his entire lifetime. He was strictly a waterfowl hunter and did it for the better part of 30 years on the east coast.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

good times, way to go guys
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC