Thread: Grouse hunting near Harrison Lake questions

Grouse hunting near Harrison Lake questions

Hi all,

I'm new to hunting and took my core a few years ago. My older son and I have been travelling up and down Chehalis forest road for a few weekends now only seeing a couple grouse off on the trails. We have hiked around the Weaver lake area (I drive a f150 and was told that I'd need an 18" lift to drive in that area), also we have travelled Morris Valley Rd (the one that goes along Harrison lake) and I think I'm doing something wrong. We have gone at different times from before first light to late afternoon, we hike and travel along the trails or closed off roads. It has been about 4 weeks now and we have not been able to harvest a single bird. I don't have a side by side, no dirt bike and no quad so I'm limited in my journey into the deeper or difficult trails. I'm not that experienced in 4x4 either with my truck but I am trying to find the limitations. I've seen some old threads and I have followed the advice but they were posted over 5 years ago. Could anyone give me pointers into finding grouse?

I have watched a ton of you tube videos but they seem to focus on the lower 48 or northern BC, to me it seems the videos describe the same conditions that would allow an easy detection of grouse in this area but not for me. I'm trying to learn something new with my son so he could teach his kids when he has them. The only hunters in my family was my grandfather who passed away some years ago, so a lot of experience lost and options of learning life skills. The upside to hunting the last month is the fun and quality time I have spent with my son but it would be awesome for him to kill his first bird.

Thank you for any who respond
    Please be gentle, I have bad luck fishing as well where my boys will catch fish but me, maybe I'm cursed and maybe they should hunt instead of me.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse hunting near Harrison Lake questions

Ive lived and hunted in that area for yrs,the grouse are there but few and far between,best to walk the side spur roads that get little traffic,best time is after a good rain with the sun comeing out they tend to hang in the road ways to dry off and pick at the gravel,useing a quad works best tho and just motoring along slowly
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

Honestly take the time and drive to merrit find a replanted spruce patch and start walking through it keeping a close eye around the bases of the trees I tend to find a lot this way. Not my favourite grouse species to eat but the kids find it entertaining.

Try some FSRs around Tulameen for a day. A lot more grouse out that way.

Thank you all for some great ideas