Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2022 Waterfowl Season Photos

Re: 2022 Waterfowl Season Photos

You have that right. They have been sniffing my spread and then noping out of there. They are all educated now.

Things have dramatically slowed down at Boundary. What were good conditions for early and mid season aren't producing much. Just high flying pintails (and not many flights), odd mallards and even the teal have moved on it seems except for this fellow who popped in with three of his buddies - though I only managed to bring down the one. Unfortunately, I tagged a pinnie who shrugged off three shots with feathers and then sailed into the bay. I gave him my best effort by striding out into the belly-high tide. Even though Boundary is so flat it never got deeper, unfortunately, that cripple stayed out of swatting range half-way to the U.S. until I gave up after 20 minutes of wading. That bird is now a U.S. citizen.

Coming back I liked our spread seeing it from a distance. A dozen floaters and three dozen silos and socks, but even with that the few lower range birds who came around gave it the one circle and then kept on going. My buddy got zero and only got off three shots himself and me with the one bite sized teal. We both whiffed on one lone mallard who cupped in on our decoys but even with two guns on it, the drake made it through the hail and exited.

I think I'm done for the season - at least with this much effort. Now thinking about spring goose and maybe brant?

BTW, I am impressed by this new gear I am rocking in the picture. It's a seat - blind cape combo. While I have been covering myself usually with a DIY burlap and ghillie set up; I bought this Beavertail adjustable backrest/camo cover combo on sale. The advantage is not just the adjustability and seat comfort, but the cape is waterproof and believe me my stuff gets wet. It is nothing to shake off the water when putting it away whereas the burlap would be soaking in salt marsh water and stinking up my car throughout the week. I added some ghillie to it as well as some marsh grass to make it more 3D. In the future I will try to match the marsh grass better to the type of scrub that Boundary has.

Last edited by silveragent; 01-16-2023 at 01:00 PM.

Great pic was out tonight heard 3 shots and none were mine guess we are nearing the end..

As others mentioned Nov and early December were quite good, but it seems to have tailed off a lot these last few weeks. Annoyingly, there are always tons of ducks in the fields still though...