Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacktail hunters, anyone tagged one yet?

Re: Blacktail hunters, anyone tagged one yet?

Quote Originally Posted by savage10 View Post
    Went out today, was super smokey and the whole area was a gong show of people. Probably going to wait until we get some rainy days and everyone else stays home before I’ll head back down there. Heading to my spot in region 3 next weekend to get after some mulies or maybe a black bear.
    I will almost only go out for BT if it is raining or snowing, almost.

Hope ya come home with a Buck buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    You have WAY more patience than I do. I’m lucky to make it 3-4 hours on a dry day…
    Hahaha, only because I know this spot and know some of the resident Deer.

I could only do 8-12 hours in special spots that's forsure, couple years ago could barely sit still for 2

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Got this guy at first light on Thursday at around 7:08 despite the day before reporting record temperatures in various places across BC.

My buddy got one mid-morning on Monday too. We also thought the heat was keeping them from moving, but there were a couple of them in motion at least. I only saw three does over the four days I was out, in the mid-morning.

Congrats Michael should be some good eating!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    Congrats Michael should be some good eating!

Thank you Brian. Yes, it has been good so far in the samples I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    I would be out there today but busted a spark plug at the threads and cannot get it out of my truck and looks like I might have to replace the cylinder head - F me!

Went out once in mid September. My blacktail spots are beyond Hope (literally and figuratively) and along hwy 3. This is the first year I did not get out and scout this summer and clear trails in my blacktail spots as was too busy with renos and work. So it came as a major shock when the rivers/creeks I use for access, some of them had changed completely from the major storm last November, landslides galore and now there's so much debris, trees, rocks, earth etc that has made access to one of my go-too spots now impossible. Pretty devastating. Never again will I neglect summer scouting

Like Nature Girl said, its so friggin dry right now that its almost impossible to sneak up on them in the timber when there's no wind. I figure the best strategy right now, until the rains come and quieten the ground to make it possible to still hunt effectively, is to get up as high as possible above a cut block just inside the timber and get as big of a vantage point as possible and hope to spot something in dark/cool areas on the edges of the cut block below at first or last light. Spot and stalk. Either that or if you can into the timber quietly, really early in the dark and setup a blind/stand and be prepared to sit the entire day, that might work too (but only if you know the deer are in the area).

You're right about blacktails being harder to hunt than both WT and MD. They're just as leery and on alert and as elusive as WT, except they live in the steep thick salal and devils club jungle. Add to that the fact that there's simply way less of them population-wise to begin with, and the fact that they also do a little bit of migrating (i.e. they'll be in one drainage for a good chunk of the summer, but as soon as the leaves start falling they're often nowhere to be found). That was the big thing I learned hunting BT's - learn when they are and are not in the areas you hunt. Trail cams are very useful for that kind of intel

Good luck! Keep building on your success from last year
    Hope success to you to my friend!

And you are right I should have been more clear in my first post about BT, a lot of BT will migrate for sure.

The ones I was talking about strictly applied to my spot and those particular Deers behaviour.

I've only been out for a day up high in the Chilliwack vallley and followed a set of doe and buck tracks for a while in steep timber. Terrain looked promising and I hope to get back on a rainy/snowy day. I've had a couple cameras set at my folks place in low country since September and just started seeing deer movement in the last few days, still mostly at night. I'm going to sit in my saddle for them, but would love to get one still hunting out of the mountains. Hope ya'll have good luck!

This one was walking past my friends house in Pt Roberts. Time to get that Form 6 filled out…

If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I take it that deer is an American citizen
    majorguns

Been struggling this season. Lost access to all of my go to places, either gates or washouts. Actually got gated into one of said places one weekend. Apparently we were trapped for two days, just didn't realize it. No signage or anything. Just been my luck this season lol. Be cool if one day I can get all my cameras back. Have a total of 11 stranded in 3 different MU's

Thought about exploring some of the more busy local areas but fear all the yahoos, coming back to a looted and burned out vehicle and such. There is one hiking trailhead in particular I know is a migration route, but thieves and vandals work that area 24/7. Was thinking about maybe getting dropped off there and picked up the next day. Not my usual MO but one must adapt!

This next week should be good for anyone who has a spot. Snow line coming down and lots of precipitation. Watch out for washouts
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-30-2022 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Been struggling this season. Lost access to all of my go to places, either gates or washouts. Actually got gated into one of said places one weekend. Apparently we were trapped for two days, just didn't realize it. No signage or anything. Just been my luck this season lol. Be cool if one day I can get all my cameras back. Have a total of 11 stranded in 3 different MU's

Thought about exploring some of the more busy local areas but fear all the yahoos, coming back to a looted and burned out vehicle and such. There is one hiking trailhead in particular I know is a migration route, but thieves and vandals work that area 24/7. Was thinking about maybe getting dropped off there and picked up the next day. Not my usual MO but one must adapt!

This next week should be good for anyone who has a spot. Snow line coming down and lots of precipitation. Watch out for washouts
    Man 11 cams stranded that sucks dude! Expensive especially if your running them with Lithiums ontop of the cam and cards.

It should be starting to get good now until end of season especially if we get snow in our spots in Nov/Dec