Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Blacktail hunters, anyone tagged one yet?

Re: Blacktail hunters, anyone tagged one yet?

Quote Originally Posted by last light View Post
    Found more deer track inside my boot tracks from 2 days ago. Also some big lion track that was not there last time. We're both looking for the same buck I guess!
    I was at another place today and huge lion tracks as well. After the 15th I am going to be trying to cut fresh tracks, find fresh kills if possible and doing e calling (mostly cougar vocalization)

I think blacktail hunting is hard enough, for me anyway. Good on you for wanting to try though. I wish you success in your endeavor. Anyone who can accomplish finding a cat on their own, without dogs has accomplished one of the most ultimate hunts IMO

Quote Originally Posted by last light View Post
    I think blacktail hunting is hard enough, for me anyway. Good on you for wanting to try though. I wish you success in your endeavor. Anyone who can accomplish finding a cat on their own, without dogs has accomplished one of the most ultimate hunts IMO
    I'm not going to hold my breath, definitely not for my first year trying. But it will be fun and learn some stuff, going to give it a good go for sure

I am heading out for my last kick at the can next weekend up past Squamish and was wondering is it still worth rattling or are they completely done with their rut?
    This is my first year hunting blacktail and any info would be a big help.

Just got back home followed the tracks of 3 different big bucks all where on the same south east facing freaking steep thick bush hillside but at different elevations all were heading away from the main valley back up into the high country.

I'm going with the rut is over and the migrant bucks are heading back to where they winter and only the local resident bucks are still around.

One was the largest blacktail deer track I have seen in 30 years my boots are size 11.

Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Thanks for the update CC. Too bad you couldn't catch up to one of those bucks. Looks like you were on the heels of Big Papa. Maybe next time, it's not over yet boys and girls. We still have 11 days left in region 2

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    I am heading out for my last kick at the can next weekend up past Squamish and was wondering is it still worth rattling or are they completely done with their rut?
    Saw a smaller buck today following 2 does in Chilliwack area.

They are still rubbing .... shavings on the snow

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    Hey buddy, yeah it is definitely not too late worth a try. It is nowhere near the high percentage like it was in Nov but can still be done, especially with smaller Bucks. Blacktails can be really curious.

But I wouldn't go very aggressive. If you look a page or two back I mentioned a website of a guy named Scott Haugen then CampCook posted a link, check it out it will give you a good starting point then can put your own spin on it. I rattled in two Bucks this year using his sequences as a template.

With rattling your odds are WAY better in an area with high Buck to Doe ratio, not sure if you have scouted it at all but just something to keep in mind.

Hope you get one!

Was thinking of those videos today and wishing I had brought antlers - call as I was following the tracks

A lot of it was thick bush but there were areas that opened up into big timber would have been perfect area to try rattling

I'm going to see what antlers I can dig up right now...

Found the 3x3 antlers

Last edited by Camp Cook; 12-04-2022 at 08:04 PM.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...