Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Blacktail hunters, anyone tagged one yet?

Re: Blacktail hunters, anyone tagged one yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    Yeah that is him, first time rattling his sequence worked then rattled another one in 4 days later same sequence.

I don't hold back with the aggresive pre rut and peak rut sequence I smash the antlers together and really beat sh*t up lol

But something he doesn't mention in there but in his book is when targeting more resident Deer, I wait 1-2 hours ina set up. If I had of left after 20-25 mins I would have never seen both Bucks. The one took about 45 mins and the other 35 mins to come in.

His book was really informative as well, seems like a really humble good guy.
    Last edited by TheObserver; 12-02-2022 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks for posting the link to the rattling vid CC.
    Thanks for the info and we'll wishes TO. You bet I'll be trying as much as I can for rest of season! Best of luck to you and CC as well! Hopefully somebody will have good news to report back with. Stay safe everyone and straight shootin

I have antlers here need to find some three point ones these ones should be out in my shipping container from Nov 9 2021

Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

I have antlers here need to find some three point ones these ones should be out in my shipping container from Nov 9 2021

Nice Buck!

I use a 4 point blacktail shed and a 3 point white tail shed, not very big. The big 4 point and small 2 point came into them. Me and the old man got a nice size 4 point Mulie set I am going to make for rattling bigger country and when it is raining, they are really loud! I found this year when it was pissing the smaller set I was using got really noticeably quieter

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Nice Buck!
    We shot this one the very next morning

I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Yeah that is him, first time rattling his sequence worked then rattled another one in 4 days later same sequence.

I don't hold back with the aggresive pre rut and peak rut sequence I smash the antlers together and really beat sh*t up lol

But something he doesn't mention in there but in his book is when targeting more resident Deer, I wait 1-2 hours ina set up. If I had of left after 20-25 mins I would have never seen both Bucks. The one took about 45 mins and the other 35 mins to come in.

Good info thanks could be the reason I have never had luck with rattling I leave to soon...

There is no right answer for how long to wait, other than long enough.
    Long enough could be two minutes or two days.

Been rattlin deer for 30 years. Every set up is unique, even in places I've rattled a hundred times.
    Never know what will happen, never know if I left "too soon" even if I was there all day.

While it is near impossible to make big noise with little antlers, it is easy to make just a little noise with big antlers.

More importantly to "resident" deer, they will quickly become educated to your game.
    They will recognize the sound of your antlers and the style of your rattling.
    They will know that you are making the same noise in the same place.... even know that you entered the domain from the same path.
    You will need to change up your game if you are playing the same opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    There is no right answer for how long to wait, other than long enough.
    Long enough could be two minutes or two days.

Been rattlin deer for 30 years. Every set up is unique, even in places I've rattled a hundred times.
    Never know what will happen, never know if I left "too soon" even if I was there all day.

While it is near impossible to make big noise with little antlers, it is easy to make just a little noise with big antlers.

More importantly to "resident" deer, they will quickly become educated to your game.
    They will recognize the sound of your antlers and the style of your rattling.
    They will know that you are making the same noise in the same place.... even know that you entered the domain from the same path.
    You will need to change up your game if you are playing the same opponent.
    Yeah you never know when one is going to come within earshot for sure, the bigger Buck I rattled I was actually 2 minutes away from getting up and leaving when I heard sticks breaking and walking through the thicket, knew it was a Buck right away. A couple minutes later and I would have most likely been on my way would have never known.

With the resident Deer becoming educated to the sounds you make, they must forget by the time next season rolls around hey? Hoping to get this guy I rattled in and missed with my bow next year if he makes it

We shot this one the very next morning

Nice work Brother! I got 2 as well last year 4x2 and a spiker both with bow. Trying to keep the streak going but not sure about this year winding down now. Saw another 3 today Doe's i'll be out there as much as I can before closing hopefully can seal the deal!

Had an abosuletly epic chance but fqn blew it
    Last edited by TheObserver; 12-03-2022 at 08:52 PM.

Found more deer track inside my boot tracks from 2 days ago. Also some big lion track that was not there last time. We're both looking for the same buck I guess!