Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacktail hunters, anyone tagged one yet?

Blacktail hunters, anyone tagged one yet?

Anyone that has been out for Blacktail's how has it been with this drought/heat? Anyone tagged one?

Got a stand up and was going to start sitting again when the moon calms down a bit was hoping for rain and cooler weather for mid October.

So far last month things were really dead as far as sightings and my cams. Have some additional spots up high to go to in Nov and when it snows but no cams up there.

Interested to hear from you guys

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Blacktail hunters, anyone tagged one yet?

Interested as well. Moved to Chilliwack this year and want to start spending some time learning the blacktails down Chilliwack river valley. If anyone has any pointers it would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by savage10 View Post
    Interested as well. Moved to Chilliwack this year and want to start spending some time learning the blacktails down Chilliwack river valley. If anyone has any pointers it would be much appreciated!
    Have you hunted them before/where you came from?

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Have you hunted them before/where you came from?
    Nope haven’t hunted them yet. Fairly new to hunting in general besides getting after some spring bear this year and also just got back from a week in the EKs chasing elk and whitetails for the first time.

Planning on going down Monday to see what I can find for blacktails/sign ect

Got this guy at first light on Thursday at around 7:08 despite the day before reporting record temperatures in various places across BC.

My buddy got one mid-morning on Monday too. We also thought the heat was keeping them from moving, but there were a couple of them in motion at least. I only saw three does over the four days I was out, in the mid-morning.

Nope haven’t hunted them yet. Fairly new to hunting in general besides getting after some spring bear this year and also just got back from a week in the EKs chasing elk and whitetails for the first time.

First time hunting BT's was last year so I have limited knowledge, and others could provide more/sound information but I did get a spiker and 4X2 with my compound bow so i'll give you some for what it's worth.

For my area the ones I keep tabs on rain and heavy rain and snow I seem to find them moving, they are random and not habitual, these Deer are not migrators and seem to live in a small area. Close to water and feed which can more south slopes in this area however small those slopes may be where more sun hits and feeds grows.

All the beds I find here are at the base of large trees like cedar that keep the rain off of them. Either on small benches or flat spots under these large trees on ridges or slopes with a vantage point and almost always wind blowin from behind them. My place has a lot of rubs and there is a good number of Bucks.

Snow makes it much easier to hunt them, heard they can be rattled and called in with good success. They seem to be with the Does and start to rut a little earlier than the other two, got mt 4X2 with a Doe last year neck fat and packing fat on Oct. 16th.

Most of my scouting was for Elk this year so I am still pretty new to BT as well, but I find them much harder to both hunt and locate than either MD or WT.

Chilliwack may be a little different but both there and here still very coastal BT. I plan on scouting Chilliwack very very hard next year, up high more so though.
    Last edited by TheObserver; 10-08-2022 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Got this guy at first light on Thursday at around 7:08 despite the day before reporting record temperatures in various places across BC.

My buddy got one mid-morning on Monday too. We also thought the heat was keeping them from moving, but there were a couple of them in motion at least. I only saw three does over the four days I was out, in the mid-morning.

Congrats Michel!! He will be delicious for sure!

Was this more inland like Boston Bar or near "the line", or more coast like down here in Maple Ridge?

They are tough and can be very frustrating, for me anyways but I love hunting them especially in the rain my noise is severely depleted and I find it very calming and peaceful.
    Last edited by TheObserver; 10-08-2022 at 04:32 PM.

That’s a nice deer you got Michel D . Are you going to post up a story ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Congrats Michel!! He will be delicious for sure!

Was this more inland like Boston Bar or near "the line", or more coast like down here in Maple Ridge?
    More inland than coastal.

Not much of a story, just a lesson in patience and hope that things will go well.

After sitting in the tree stand for two hours Tuesday evening, five hours Wednesday moring and two hours in the afternoon and sighting only two chipmunks, which might have been the same one twice, I was starting to wonder if the unseasonal high temperatures were keeping deer from moving.

Thursday morning I got to the stand just before daybreak and around 7:05 I heard "crunch-crunch-crunch" on the dry ground, twigs and cones and saw a deer coming along. In my flurry of activity putting earplugs in and mounting the rifle, the deer stopped behind a tangle of brush 25 yards away, looking up at me. Busted! And he wouldn't move. I was concerned he'd suddenly bolt out of there not giving me a shot.

I had a hard time finding it in the scope at first, looked with the naked eye again, then the scope and finally got a good view, but only of the head and a bit of neck. I saw it had antlers. Looked like long tall spikes to me. I aimed a little lower where the neck should be and shot. The deer dropped but then kicked around and shoved himself downhill into my sight, trying to get up. I put another one in the neck and he was down. The first shot had hit the spine. Either I flinched and pulled left or the 140 grain 280 Remington bullet deflected.

I hiked back to the truck and got my cargo pack. Gutted and skinned out the deer on the spot, cut it up into five pieces; lower back and hind quarters, chest and neck, the two front legs and shoulders and head. Packed it out to the truck in three trips. Shot at 7:08 and all packed up and in the truck headed home at 11:08.

Turned out to be a three-point. I had not seen the ends of the antlers as I described earlier. They had blended in with the branches of the bush the deer had been hiding behind.

Last edited by MichelD; 10-08-2022 at 10:21 PM.