Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacktail hunters, anyone tagged one yet?

Re: Blacktail hunters, anyone tagged one yet?

I shot one last week first blacktail buck I have seen all fall season.

Over the last 11 years I have shot 17 region 2 blacktail bucks I do not even use trail cams now I just go to where I know they rut/bed down, travel or follow does.

Best advise I can give is if its raining go hunting - look for does - once you find the does keep going back to where they were the bucks will eventually start showing up.

I do not use cover scents I use the wind but it gets tricky when the wind can't make up its mind which way its going to blow.

Another thought is look for drainages these do not have to be big creeks look for even the smallest flow of water the deer will be hanging out on either side of them or traveling up and down them.

Re still hunting I move super slow usually take max 3 silent as I can steps then glass the area but sometimes when it is raining hard I can move a lot faster and still be silent the key is to look for a part of an animal closest I have been able to sneak up to a doe is appr 3 yards.

This last buck I spotted his white muzzle at appr 60 yards that is all I could see of him for about 5 min he never moved I don't think he even knew I was there.

The rut is full on right now so get out even if it is for only an hour...
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Managed to kill a three point mid Oct with the shotgun off island on another island.

They came back up to my area within a day or two of the rains, the Bucks are starting to move hard

My blacktail status this season is... complicated lol

We did go out for a one nighter over the weekend though in search of possible new areas. Went to a place I previously swore off. Checked out a few roads and such, just looking for a decent place to camp... ended up not only finding a good place to camp, but sweet blacktail turf with loads of sign. For the first time in a year, found myself actually on a serious BT hunt. What a great feeling. There's something about BT hunting that flips all kinds of switches in my brain that makes me feel awesome.

Seems like there's a chance I'll get a BT story up this year after all.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    My blacktail status this season is... complicated lol

We did go out for a one nighter over the weekend though in search of possible new areas. Went to a place I previously swore off. Checked out a few roads and such, just looking for a decent place to camp... ended up not only finding a good place to camp, but sweet blacktail turf with loads of sign. For the first time in a year, found myself actually on a serious BT hunt. What a great feeling. There's something about BT hunting that flips all kinds of switches in my brain that makes me feel awesome.

Seems like there's a chance I'll get a BT story up this year after all.
    Hhahah atta guy, nice buddy right on!

If you guys are hunting the Chilliwack River valley remember it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 800 meters of the main Chilliwack Lake Road.

There is a large sign - map on the upstream side of the Sleese Creek bridge across from the salmon hatchery that has all of the details.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    If you guys are hunting the Chilliwack River valley remember it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 800 meters of the main Chilliwack Lake Road.

There is a large sign - map on the upstream side of the Sleese Creek bridge across from the salmon hatchery that has all of the details.
    Thanks Dad!

Hahaha just joshin', not for me this year plan on it next year though thanks for the heads up had no clue!

Always been tempted to check out that valley and see if there's a place I can set up camp somewhere up a spur and hunt out of it. There are a few places I have thought about in there that I can pretty much guarantee have a fair number of bucks, but coming back to a stolen catalytic converter seems about as likely. Though if anyone has any secret honey holes with a good place to camp near by off the beaten path, feel free to PM me those

Super excited for this long weekend. Got some plans lined up. Hopefully we'll see some a bunch of BT down posts here on HBC.

[QUOTE=caddisguy;2370451]Always been tempted to check out that valley and see if there's a place I can set up camp somewhere up a spur and hunt out of it. There are a few places I have thought about in there that I can pretty much guarantee have a fair number of bucks, but coming back to a stolen catalytic converter seems about as likely. Though if anyone has any secret honey holes with a good place to camp near by off the beaten path, feel free to PM me those

Hey Caddis, check out vedder mountain, it has some great deer, hunting.
    I’ve shot a few over the yrs and it’s been good for bobcats too.