Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some of our 2022 grouse action

Re: Some of our 2022 grouse action

We took another trip out there over the weekend. I think we saw well over 30 grouse total. Quite a few were skittish, but quite a few gave me a chance to shoot. Unfortunately for whatever reason, I couldn't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with the scatter gun all weekend. Still ended up with a couple of birds, but man, we should have been able to limit out there, but holy cow... ever have one of those days (or two days in a row) like how can you miss still ground targets with an IC at 15 yards again and again?

Anyway, still a good time out there seeing all those birds, a few deer and a pretty nice looking bear (jet black and shiny, looked like of like a gorilla lol)

Also helped dig some folks that got locked behind a gate in their H3. We can relate as we got locked behind a different gate a few weeks back as well. They had got a pretty big dent on the body from leaning onto a rock. Took us maybe an hour (probably not even) to dig out a pretty good path and they were able to get out without any further damage. Glad we went back to check. Reason we did the roughly 35km round trip was had heard a worker calling down earlier and he stopped. Dude always calls on the way down. So we show up, no worker, but found those peeps gated in.

Overall pretty good weekend I'd say. More pics!

Last edited by caddisguy; 10-13-2022 at 10:45 AM.

Good eats there

Quote Originally Posted by boilerroom View Post
    great stuff caddisguy. I would definitely take a hinged shotgun over pump for grouse - so much quicker and quieter.

cheers,
    BR
    Man, so funny thing about that. Several years ago, my brother gave me this Stoeger Double Barrel side by side 12 Gauge Defender. He said that he did not like it, because when he'd shoot 3" magnum buckshot/slugs (he wasn't into hunting at all back then, just liked shooting) both rounds would often fire at the same time. I figure he might have been unknowingly bump firing from the recoil... either that or the trigger system can't handle those bigger loads. Either way, no issue with bird loads.

Anyway. I pretty much forgot about this gun. I knew it was locked up in a case, but for some reason whenever I thought about it, I thought it was some zombie gun with no buttstock?

So caddisgirl was talking about buying a shotgun. She doesn't like my Maverick 88 28", finds it too awkward. I'm like, maybe we should have a look at that gun Paul gave us and see if it's good for anything?

We pull it out and have a look. Actually seems like a great grouse gun. I am able to open / close the action completely silent, not even a click. It has a 20" barrel, fixed IC chokes. Seems just about perfect for grouse. Wish I would have taken a closer look at this thing years ago. Figure I would have been using it already. Add in the fact my bro passed on earlier this year, I am so happy realising we can make good use of this shotgun. Awesome keep sake and will feel closer to bro when we're bagging birdies with it.

And hey, having that quick follow up shot ready... if I ever perform as badly as I did on the last outing that could come in handy

Last edited by caddisguy; 10-13-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Nice lookin birds and that dish you were making on the pic above looks great, mind sharing the recipe? Lol I haven't shot a single grouse this year, probably passed on at least 60... saving up my good grouse karma for next year when my son is old enough to shoot them..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Nice lookin birds and that dish you were making on the pic above looks great, mind sharing the recipe? Lol I haven't shot a single grouse this year, probably passed on at least 60... saving up my good grouse karma for next year when my son is old enough to shoot them..
    The first time I did it with whole breast fillets and legs. Second time I cut the breasts into chunks (popcorn grouse!) because I was looking for a couple unaccounted for pellets.

Batter thoroughly in flour (I do each piece by hand to make sure I get every llittle nook and cranny
    Heat up enough butter to cover 1-2mm in the bottom of the pan until it starts sizzling
    Toss in the battered up grouse breasts fillets (or chunks) and legs
    Sprinkle on some salt and black pepper (I used Himalayan rock salt because I'm fancy) as well as some crushed red pepper flakes and the secret ingredient "Franks Hot Seasoning" (yep they make seasoning... like I said, we're fancy peeps over here)
    Flip everything over, do the other side.
    Put the lid on for a minute or two.
    Unless you were crazy fast with the seasoning and flipping, it should be done now. Take the lid off, let it sit for a few and enjoy!

Sometimes we use Cholula jalapeno hot sauce instead of the franks seasoning. I find seasoning works much better than sauces when frying battered things.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-13-2022 at 03:58 PM.

I got out over the weekend here on the island, didn't see anything like you are seeing for sure. We had such a cold and damp spring / summer I think the grouse had a late clutch of chicks. The two I managed to get i had to have a second look to make sure they were in fact grouse.

Looks like you've got the hunt and cook down to perfection.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    The first time I did it with whole breast fillets and legs. Second time I cut the breasts into chunks (popcorn grouse!) because I was looking for a couple unaccounted for pellets.

Batter thoroughly in flour (I do each piece by hand to make sure I get every llittle nook and cranny
    Heat up enough butter to cover 1-2mm in the bottom of the pan until it starts sizzling
    Toss in the battered up grouse breasts fillets (or chunks) and legs
    Sprinkle on some salt and black pepper (I used Himalayan rock salt because I'm fancy) as well as some crushed red pepper flakes and the secret ingredient "Franks Hot Seasoning" (yep they make seasoning... like I said, we're fancy peeps over here)
    Flip everything over, do the other side.
    Put the lid on for a minute or two.
    Unless you were crazy fast with the seasoning and flipping, it should be done now. Take the lid off, let it sit for a few and enjoy!

Sometimes we use Cholula jalapeno hot sauce instead of the franks seasoning. I find seasoning works much better than sauces when frying battered things.
    OK cool thanks..