Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tunkwa Lake any good for birds?

Tunkwa Lake any good for birds?

Is there any decent upland bird hunting around Tunkwa Lake? Looking for options for next year for my dog and me...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tunkwa Lake any good for birds?

All burned up and I think closed areas from the fires. Research the closures whitey.

"Whitey"??? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    All burned up and I think closed areas from the fires. Research the closures whitey.

Big bucks, immature moose and non stop action.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    "Whitey"??? Really?
    blatantly racist but thats apparently acceptable in this forum. and wishing death upon others. ask a single ethic group to leave the country and you get banned. what a silly forum. Ask for advice and get flamed. This is such a great forum for hunters to discuss actual hunting and fishing strategies.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    "Whitey"??? Really?
    Yes. If you are a white person, there are almost 75,000 hectares surrounding Tunkwa where you may not drive a vehicle. If you choose to drive through this area you may encounter other people who will have no problem calling you names like that and asking you to leave. Prepare yourself for that experience for this season and from what I hear, forever.

then i will use derogatory terms right back.

So many questions LovemyWinchester; Who are you to speak for all the non-white people? Since you do, why is the area around Tunkwa surrounded by racists as you suggest? Who actually hunts grouse from a vehicle?

As to OPs question, Tunkwa is not a great area to hunt grouse. Yes, they are certainly there but not in great numbers. As was so eloquently stated, there is a motor vehicle closure but the camp ground is open. You can park at the Leighton Day use area and walk to the back side or to the powerlines. I have done both several times and can count on my fingers the number of grouse I have seen. If given the choice, and if driving from LML you pass some better areas on the way there.

*Exit: since you said next year, things may change. The government sets a "goal" of lifting motor restrictions 18 months after they are put in place. That hasn't been the case anywhere else one can hope.
    Last edited by Mulehahn; 10-07-2022 at 01:19 PM.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    So many questions LovemyWinchester; Who are you to speak for all the non-white people? Since you do, why is the area around Tunkwa surrounded by racists as you suggest? Who actually hunts grouse from a vehicle?

As to OPs question, Tunkwa is not a great area to hunt grouse. Yes, they are certainly there but not in great numbers. As was so eloquently stated, there is a motor vehicle closure but the camp ground is open. You can park at the Leighton Day use area and walk to the back side or to the powerlines. I have done both several times and can count on my fingers the number of grouse I have seen. If given the choice, and if driving from LML you pass some better areas on the way there.

to answer your question about hunting.

the ONLY way I hunt grouse is from a vehicle lol. Too and from hunting something to actually fill the freezer.. who on earth hunts grouse as anything besides a morsel of opportunity? Lol

Lol. Guess I just crazy. I live alone so if I take a deer I am done with big game. Other times I just don't feel like putting in the effort but feel like going for a walk so I grab the shotgun or 22. Helps that I love in the Cariboo though..
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!