Thread: Crayfishing

Crayfishing

I'm reading the regulations and I'm a little confused on what is a legal method of taking them.

In the regulations it says that an allowable fishing method is to trap crayfish with any number or size of traps for personal consumption. You must release all fin fish caught in your trap. To help sustain crayfish populations, you should release any crayfish that are less than 9 cm in total length as well as those bearing eggs or young. All other methods of taking fin fish and crayfish are illegal.

Then it goes on to say it is unlawful to Fish with nets, including dip nets, minnow nets, gill nets or cast nets.

So, if I use a stick and a net to try and catch them, is that illegal or not?

P.S. If I use my hand, is that considered a trap? Then is that okay?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crayfishing

Crayfish trappingMany Okanagan anglers enjoy trapping and eating crayfish. Unfortunately, some styles and sizes of legal traps are very effective at catching anddrowning turtles. This is particularly concerning for the Western Painted Turtle, a native species whose population health is vulnerable to humanactivities. Anglers are encouraged to use traps with minimally-sized circular openings, to reduce the chance of capturing turtles.

They have a picture of a steel trap with a big X on it and a smaller more net like trap with a checkmark.

Also, so if i have to trap crayfish from the vedder, what are the chances someone steals my catch? pretty high i would imagine considering most people are a$$h0l3s