Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Elk calls spook Deer?

Re: Do Elk calls spook Deer?

Here is an odd thing I have noticed and done and many may laugh but I believe there is something to in WT deer communication.
    Often I hunt by mtn bike.
    Quite often this means “pushing” the bike due to the fact either terrain and heavy packs on it.
    I guess the profile of me upright by the handle bars and the rest of the bike behind me gives me a profile if some sort of ungulate.
    WT sees me, freezes and stops feeding.
    They appear to not be sure what I am.
    I notice the wave their tail around in quick bursts.
    Stop, a few moments pass and do it again, all while staring at me.

So, I use a glove, and wave it behind me back at them.
    And oddly enough, as soon as I do that, they go right back to feeding!!???

it’s as if their tail wag is a way to communicate “ what are you coming this way”.
    And once I give them the “glove wag”, they become settled and ax if my wag is some sort of acknowledgment that I too am a deer.

I have done it many times and with hunting partners.
    They can’t believe it but have seen it numerous times now and concur.
    The profile of me with a bike walking it and using a glove as a tail wag signal to them has helped keep them calm and not blow out of the area and alerting everything else.

Okay, everyone can go ahead and laugh now.

^^^ I get it. You're just a really poor copy of a Montana decoy to them . Your packs/panniers probably just add to the mass and fill things in making you look even more like a quadra-ped.

Maybe just an anomaly, but last year while still hunting I came upon a small bowl, maybe 50-60 yds across. It was full of lush green vegetation, over half a dozen whitetail, AND four elk, all feeding side by side. No one seemed to mind at all. T'was quite a spectacle when I was busted while trying to count tines. Hooves were flying everywhere

I was chasing a bull around one morning and bumped up a 4pt muley I’d shoot any day of the week. He stood at 20 yards wondering wtf I was and why am I making those noises. Passed the buck , bull got away lol. Same month I called in a 45” bull moose with a bugle. He came across the river and walked right up to me grunting. I’d say no to spoookin, maybe some would?

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    I was chasing a bull around one morning and bumped up a 4pt muley I’d shoot any day of the week. He stood at 20 yards wondering wtf I was and why am I making those noises. Passed the buck , bull got away lol. Same month I called in a 45” bull moose with a bugle. He came across the river and walked right up to me grunting. I’d say no to spoookin, maybe some would?
    This Bull Moose came just ready for war full tilt breaking everything to my Bugle, there may have been another Bull grunting lower down the slope or it was the one that ran in I heard. I thought it was an Elk for sure and when I seen the antlers through the trees for a flash thought looks like he'll be a 6 or greater, got the heart pumpin thats for sure lol.

Would of had my first Moose if I had an LEH, big bull full paddles.

Will post some pics of the one I picked up when I get back home from this trip probably Monday

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Hahaha don't worry buddy I just called in a friggin Bull Moose with my calls lol
    Haha no lie my Turkey mouth reed has called in many a whitetail lol
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Elk and mule deer will cohabitate, but they typically eat different foods. The whitetail and elk, are both grass eaters so they compete for food and prefer to be apart. Though, in terms of alerting your chosen prey, I might worry less about ungulate to ungulate... and more about other critters in the forest. Whether you are calling, sitting or stalking. Squirrels obviously kick up a fuss and alert other wildlife, but particularly, the "Black Cap Chickadee". Sitting in a stand, or stalking quietly, you hear the subtle buzz from the black cap. They are talking. And they are telling other animals what is happening. Listen to those birds.

Mine do
    I work it like a shock call for turkeys , just to see what moves
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Had pulled a lone bull into the back of a basin. Buddy had gone down try for him. Wasn't using my bugle anymore . . . just cow/calf twerps. Mr. G-bear was on his way up behind me in the basin we had come up in the dark earlier. We pretended we didn't see each other . . . he left graciously.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Elk and mule deer will cohabitate, but they typically eat different foods. The whitetail and elk, are both grass eaters so they compete for food and prefer to be apart. Though, in terms of alerting your chosen prey, I might worry less about ungulate to ungulate... and more about other critters in the forest. Whether you are calling, sitting or stalking. Squirrels obviously kick up a fuss and alert other wildlife, but particularly, the "Black Cap Chickadee". Sitting in a stand, or stalking quietly, you hear the subtle buzz from the black cap. They are talking. And they are telling other animals what is happening. Listen to those birds.
    I don't have much experience with mule deer but the seem to be dumber then dirt. You are correct about the whitetail. I've seen them together in a field but there is lots of space in between and they all seem to be paying attention to what is going on until you throw a swamp donkey in the mix and that sure peaks the elk and deer's curiosity.

The only time I seen a mule deer run was when I thought I'd try a grunt tube. They took off like speedy Gonzalez
    Last edited by Norwestalta; 10-05-2022 at 08:41 PM.

Here is that Moose skull I found 20 minutes after I called that Bull Moose in with a bugle for anyone interested......