Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Elk calls spook Deer?

Do Elk calls spook Deer?

Curious about your guys' experience and observations.

If your Bugling or even doing cow calls do you find you don't bump into Deer?

I bumped into two Bucks last month and Bugled just before I bumped into them, seems like they thought I was an Elk.

Another incident had me almost right ontop of Deer calling I didn't know they were there and didn't move until I raked (had an interaction with a Bull, hence the raking) then they took off they were probably 5 yards from me and I was bugling.

Then another location wouldn't bump into any if I was calling which I found strange.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Do Elk calls spook Deer?

I often cow call as i move. Bumped into lots of deer in bow range.

Have had deer in sight while bugeling (Wt and MD) and for the most part they stay put and look for the source of the call.

I guess if they dont wind you and you sound like what they hear daily, they have little reason to be alarmed.

A few years back my buddy and I noticed a cranker 4x4 muley at less than 150 yards as we called back and forth with a 6pt bull, climbing trying to get him to show himself. For a micro second I considered shooting the buck, but quickly dismissed that notion thinking of the bull elk. Cow elk were in between us at the top of a very high slide and the buck. The bull was in the timber within 100 yards. The buck couldnt give a $#%& about our calling, bull calling, cows chirping. He just fed away like nothing was going on.

At the end of that day, never got the bull or buck, but thats hunting
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-04-2022 at 06:03 PM.

Hell, my elk calls spook elk let alone deer

I think that it might make the deer more alert. What I've seen in relation to elk deer interaction is in the winter time. 80 or more elk will move into a field and break trail thru the snow. The elk will paw thru the snow to get to the grass underneath and the deer follow along right behind them picking up the crumbs. I've never seen them right side by each because in my experience elk are scared of their own shadows.

I'm gonna figure the deer you're running into are mule deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I often cow call as i move. Bumped into lots of deer in bow range.

Have had deer in sight while bugeling (Wt and MD) and for the most part they stay put and look for the source of the call.

I guess if they dont wind you and you sound like what they hear daily, they have little reason to be alarmed.

A few years back my buddy and I noticed a cranker 4x4 muley at less than 150 yards as we called back and forth with a 6pt bull, climbing trying to get him to show himself. For a micro second I considered shooting the buck, but quickly dismissed that notion thinking of the bull elk. Cow elk were in between us at the top of a very high slide and the buck. The bull was in the timber within 100 yards. The buck couldnt give a $#%& about our calling, bull calling, cows chirping. He just fed away like nothing was going on.

At the end of that day, never got the bull or buck, but thats hunting
    40 minutes after your comment i'm 1.5km deep in an inaccessible valley, was doing some Bugling and trees start breaking heading my way what sounded kind of like a muffled dog barking I think it's lost voice trying to chuckle.

It was coming straight for me ready for battle, it's now almost in view I see antlers and what looked like a mane i'm crouched safety off. Then 30 yards I can see him clearly..... a large Bull.... Moose hahahah f*****g insane!!

I think I just called in a Moose with my Bugling hahaha.

Then 20 minutes later heading back for truck losing visibility fast I find a nice duece palm 7 pointer dead head Moose skull last years almost mint condition. I know where i'm applying for a draw next year, seen lots this spring/summer and especially since september.

Rough 2 hour pack out through disgusting blow down had to carry it, thank God I have a safari sling on my rifle. I'll post a pic of it when i'm able too. Just got back to the truck with service.

Found so much cool stuff this year doin back country

Thinking back now there may have been a second Bull grunting back to him behind me and I may have got caughten in the middle, but almost swear I just bugled in a Bull Moose he came crashing right to my exact location, man calling in these big guys is crazy can't believe i'm just starting to hunt Elk now.
    Last edited by TheObserver; 10-04-2022 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    Hell, my elk calls spook elk let alone deer
    Hahaha don't worry buddy I just called in a friggin Bull Moose with my calls lol

I have had plenty of white tail, usually doe or young bucks just continue on with heir feeding or what not many times while calling elk.
    And they sometimes are pretty close to me and does not phase them.
    Sometimes they stare, and as long as I stay still they don’t move away.
    If they don’t see me at all they don’t seem to care at all.

and I used to worry that my calling would cause them to panic and thus run away, crashing thru timber and alerting any potential elk.

The big concern is them smelling me, this wheezing away at me as an alert to everything else.
    Then again, just like squirrels they have also helped alert me to the fact that something else is in the area and when it is when I am calling for elk, it usually is an elk.
    Been a couple of cougars and Grizz however too!

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    I think that it might make the deer more alert. What I've seen in relation to elk deer interaction is in the winter time. 80 or more elk will move into a field and break trail thru the snow. The elk will paw thru the snow to get to the grass underneath and the deer follow along right behind them picking up the crumbs. I've never seen them right side by each because in my experience elk are scared of their own shadows.

I'm gonna figure the deer you're running into are mule deer?
    That's right Mulies.

Definitely scared of their own shadows.

I've heard of Elk chasing Deer out of areas, but this was a second hand report given to me of Roosevelt Elk and Blacktails

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I have had plenty of white tail, usually doe or young bucks just continue on with heir feeding or what not many times while calling elk.

and I used to worry that my calling would cause them to panic and thus run away, crashing thru timber and alerting any potential elk.

The big concern is them smelling me, this wheezing away at me as an alert to everything else.
    Then again, just like squirrels they have also helped alert me to the fact that something else is in the area and when it is when I am calling for elk, it usually is an elk.
    Had a Deer blow at me couple days ago, hate that sound. Hate Grouse spooking always gets me hahah

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post

The squirrels have helped me on more than one occasion.(on deer or bear ) Not an elk guy myself but I will add that I have rode right up to within 50 yds or less on horseback to mule deer and they just stood there watching the horse as I got off and shot .

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Ok thanks for pointing that out, can’t believe how wrong I was and how right you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I don't know why he always attacks me so vicously.