Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood Stove Safety

Re: Wood Stove Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Depends how windy it gets and well you have your stove pipe secured.

I’d let it burn while I leave for the day, I just don’t stoke it up.
    I'm wondering if I could support the vent outside the side of the tent using crossed metal poles and some wire. Maybe conduit or something.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I use 5’ lengths of thin rebar hammered into the ground in an X

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    I use 5’ lengths of thin rebar hammered into the ground in an X
    Rebar sounds great. Probably easier to stick in the ground too.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    That's awesome. I've been looking at a 10x10 canopy at cabelas. It was just on for 1/2 price but I was indecisive and it's back up to $199. I'll wait for another sale on one. It's tempting to maybe cook in the wall tent but I'm worried about food smells/bears.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13671...2-green-canopy
    Bear concerns aside, it's nice to keep the oily airborne residue and food smells separate from your sleeping quarters. Not to mention, a separate kitchen will give you a a lot more space to move inside your main tent.
    For $100 bucks, you can't go wrong. And if they don't sell a wall kit for it, I'm sure you could cut up a tarp and rig something yourself. Borrowing heat from your main tent to warm the extra space would pretty much double your living space when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Bear concerns aside, it's nice to keep the oily airborne residue and food smells separate from your sleeping quarters. Not to mention, a separate kitchen will give you a a lot more space to move inside your main tent.
    For $100 bucks, you can't go wrong. And if they don't sell a wall kit for it, I'm sure you could cut up a tarp and rig something yourself. Borrowing heat from your main tent to warm the extra space would pretty much double your living space when needed.
    Good point. I'm thinking it wouldn't take long for food grease to accumulate on the inside of the tent.

Have a look at Walmart . I bought a shelter there for cheap couple of years back . There’s a thread somewhere on HBC on it . The only thing is they don’t do well if it snows in my opinion unless you had it heated
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    My tent has the vent hole out the side, but up near the top. Am I right in thinking it should turn vertical again once it exits the tent?
    Mine is the same and this is how I set up mine.

I have the same pop up I think . It came from Walmart as well , with one wall for it . Was thinking I could tarp the other sides . The pop up is not the best though when you get a dump of snow overnight LOL
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    I bought a 'First up' 10x10 pop up about 12 years ago at Walmart. At that time you could buy a wall kit for it. That little shelter has been nothing but good to me for 10 years. I've used it as a kitchen, sleeping quarters, quad shelter and more recently a drying room as I cut a stove hole in the roof and put a small cheap Princess Auto wood stove in it.
    Butted up to your tent it'd be a great kitchen, wood shed or any number of uses.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    Mine is the same and this is how I set up mine.

This setup looks awesome. The angle of it looks like it helps to support the vent.

Had a fellow talk about his tent going on fire while sleeping. Had to fisticuff his buddy to wake up. Literally had seconds to get out. No time to grab anything. Keys were in the tent, truck was locked. They made it out ok but lost everything in the tent. I once had the corner pole break in a high wind. It was on the corner where the stove was & I had kids inside. Standing outside in my long underwear trying to keep the tent from contacting the stove as well as hoping the chimney would stay in place. It was high blood pressure until a friend grabbed another pole and tent was secured. Wall tents are great but when things go wrong they can go to hell in a hand basket.