Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood Stove Safety

Re: Wood Stove Safety

We added this to the back of our tent for attaching the stove pipe, very secure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN02441.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    I hang a welding blanket behind the stove off of the aluminum frame. My frame has 5' walls so a 4x6 blanket it almost goes the ground and does a good job of blocking a lot of the heat. My biggest concern is securing the stove pipe. Had it fall down during a crazy wind storm one year. That was fun. Since then I found one of those road sign tripods and attached some tubing to it to secure it too. Been solid ever since. As for smoke detector, there will be smoke until you get used to using it. Crack a window and you will be ok.
    Thanks for the tips. I was thinking a welding blanket might be good to also put underneath the stove
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    What tent/stove did you end up with?

I've used a number of different wall tents over the years, but this spring I pulled the pin on a 12x14' Deluxe wall tent with a 10' porch with screened in front. Ordered the Yukon stove kit at the same time.
    Hoping to get it out in the bush here shortly.
    The stove is a kni-co alaskan with the shelf and water tank. I'll still need to burn the oils off it beforehand.

The tent is 10x12 with 2 screened windows and a screened front door, aluminumframe. I think it's a local polar bear one. I had a polar bear tent in the past that we never used. Seems the same in the exact same bags. No porch unfortunately. Thinking we'll get a pop up canopy for cooking under.

Quote Originally Posted by exv View Post
    Right on .. hard to beat a wall tent!.

Like others have said ... stove pipe, make sure it's secure. Mine came loose once and it was a learning moment haha. I have a set of heavy leather camp/truck gloves I keep in the tent now incase I have to grab something hot. Also nice for disassembling and emptying stove at end of a trip. I often empty the stove into the fire pit then extinguish any remaining embers, keeps the camp site tidy for the next guy.

If you can, set your tent up before your trip to iron out any kinks.

Our late season wall tent camp is something I look forward to every year.
    I've owned two wall tents over the years and never used them, but this time I'm dedicated to using it regularly. Planning to set it up this weekend and get the tarp, ropes, bungies, and pegs all sorted out. The fellow I bought it from showed me how to masking tape the frame joints as you go to keep it from disassembling while being set up. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by jjsachmoe View Post
    We added this to the back of our tent for attaching the stove pipe, very secure.
    That's awesome. It looks like your chimney goes out the side of the tent, then turns vertical again. Ours goes out the side too.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    My son and I built a woodstove that we use in our tipi tent, and we have a good stove jack that the stovepipe protrudes through, and I ensure that the tent is setup properly, so I therefore don't have to worry about the tent catching fire.. we do keep a stack of firewood in the tent as well but it's far enough away that it's not a concern...I used to keep a smoke detector inside but we're very comfortable with it now so I no longer bother, we don't keep anything flammable in the direct vicinity of the stove..to each their own..
    Great points, much appreciated. I was, and still am, on the fence about tipi vs wall tent. I like the tipi tents from the place near kamloops. They look quicker to set up than a wall tent. I think tipi tents definitely have a cool factor.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    The stove is a kni-co alaskan with the shelf and water tank. I'll still need to burn the oils off it beforehand.

The tent is 10x12 with 2 screened windows and a screened front door, aluminumframe. I think it's a local polar bear one. I had a polar bear tent in the past that we never used. Seems the same in the exact same bags. No porch unfortunately. Thinking we'll get a pop up canopy for cooking under.
    I bought a 'First up' 10x10 pop up about 12 years ago at Walmart. At that time you could buy a wall kit for it. That little shelter has been nothing but good to me for 10 years. I've used it as a kitchen, sleeping quarters, quad shelter and more recently a drying room as I cut a stove hole in the roof and put a small cheap Princess Auto wood stove in it.
    Butted up to your tent it'd be a great kitchen, wood shed or any number of uses.

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    For wood stoves you just have to make sure that your pipe and stove don't come into contact with materials that can burn. Stove and pipe will get very hot that's your only danger.
    Also make sure that the stove pipe has a chimney cap with mesh to prevent large ash lumps from falling onto your tent and burning a hole in it.
    My tent has the vent hole out the side, but up near the top. Am I right in thinking it should turn vertical again once it exits the tent? Luckily my stove came with the vent cap/screen thing. I'm wondering if I need a step ladder to check that it's not blocked after some use.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    I bought a 'First up' 10x10 pop up about 12 years ago at Walmart. At that time you could buy a wall kit for it. That little shelter has been nothing but good to me for 10 years. I've used it as a kitchen, sleeping quarters, quad shelter and more recently a drying room as I cut a stove hole in the roof and put a small cheap Princess Auto wood stove in it.
    Butted up to your tent it'd be a great kitchen, wood shed or any number of uses.
    That's awesome. I've been looking at a 10x10 canopy at cabelas. It was just on for 1/2 price but I was indecisive and it's back up to $199. I'll wait for another sale on one. It's tempting to maybe cook in the wall tent but I'm worried about food smells/bears.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13671...2-green-canopy

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    keep any inside wood away at a safe distance.
    keep a shovel nearby. Fire extinguisher handy is not a bad idea.

We close the door and pipe dampers when leaving camp. Basically smothers the fire.
    the way our stove is designed we can use a metal fence spine post and drive it into the ground and put a large hose clamp around the post and pipe to secure for any strong winds.

ps always have a pot of water on the stove for humidity.
    Interesting point, as I've heard that it's good to have a bottle of water handy when using a wood stove in case a person wakes up and needs a drink from dryness.

To be honest I hadn't thought of a fire extinguisher, but will buy one as it'll work better than my usual bucket of water.