Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wood Stove Safety

Re: Wood Stove Safety

Quote Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
    Had a fellow talk about his tent going on fire while sleeping. Had to fisticuff his buddy to wake up. Literally had seconds to get out. No time to grab anything. Keys were in the tent, truck was locked. They made it out ok but lost everything in the tent. I once had the corner pole break in a high wind. It was on the corner where the stove was & I had kids inside. Standing outside in my long underwear trying to keep the tent from contacting the stove as well as hoping the chimney would stay in place. It was high blood pressure until a friend grabbed another pole and tent was secured. Wall tents are great but when things go wrong they can go to hell in a hand basket.
    That's scary...I would think in theory, a tipi tent would be more wind resistant, therefore mitigating the risk you described??

Re: Wood Stove Safety

Spend $35 on a portable carbon monoxide detector, it may save your life. I was woken up in the middle of the night last weekend by mine alarming to find that the wind had caused the stove jack to pull the stove pipe out of my LiteOutdoors stove, venting the burning pile of coals directly into the tent while we slept. I'll be adding some cotter pins to clip the stove pipe to the body to prevent this from happening again.