Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolves and dogs

Wolves and dogs

Have you guys experienced wolves after your pets?

I had two incidents this year, likely with the same pack of wolves lightly howling around my tent in the middle of the night. The first time we were sleeping in my teepee and I woke up to my golden retriever barking a couple hundred yards away. I rolled out of the tent in my underwear with my 870 and ran over calling him, which he came back right away. Shortly after that the wolves started a few light howls and then started doing that howl where they were talking to other wolves a ways away. After that I drove tent peg in the ground in the middle of my tent and tied his leash to it while we sleep.

The second time was last week. We were setup on this tiny peninsula with about 75 yards of water to the bank on one side and maybe 150 yards of water to shore on the other. I woke up in the middle of the night to this light howl on the close shoreline. I looked at the dog who’s eyes were wide open staring at me, but he didn’t move an inch so I checked on the kids and went back to sleep. Then I woke up right at first light and the wolf was doing the same thing on the other shore.

Im thinking they were trying to get him out of the tent so they could eat him. On the second trip we were following some fresh wolf track close to camp and the dog started going bananas right around the spot the wold tracks stopped. This is a dog who doesn’t bark, so I think he’s figured out they’re not his friends.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolves and dogs

I’ll add one more thing.

After the first incident the dog was super sick and I thought he was going to die on me after that. I ended up staying up with him the rest of the night while he puked up bile and nodded in and out of consciousness. He was too sick for me to run to town. I’m the middle of the afternoon he got better. I’m not sure if it’s related or a coincidence.

Wife and I were camped along the upper Englishman River.
    Just the two of us and our Rottweiler bitch who had just come into season.
    A large wolf walked up to our camp on the downwind side and stood there at 40+ yds.
    Spooked him off, he was back later in the day. We packed up and left.

Dr. Valerius Geist has written about wolf and dog interactions and how wolves often risk interbreeding with dogs when they loose their fear of humans.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Just the two of us and our Rottweiler bitch who had just come into season.
    A large wolf walked up to our camp on the downwind side and stood there at 40+ yds..
    It shouldn’t be much of a surprise that a dog in estrus will bring all sorts of critters literally “sniffing around”.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Wolves will kill dogs. I had a friend whose dog barely survived a wolf attack. Would never trust a wolf around a dog. Sounds like your dog ingested something to be that sick and can't see it having anything to do with the wolves. One thing that comes to mind if this was a campsite that was used before would be a partially smoked joint or roaches. They made my sons dog sicker than hell, can't remember if he puked but definitely in and out of consciousness. Vet told him some dogs react way worse than others.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Wolves have been know to kill and eat dogs, there is a video of a wolf taking a gold lab I think it was from a yard north end of Vancouver island, when it was tied up with two other large dogs. Also one killed a dog in Metchosin last March. There is lots of cases reported, in BC alone. So would always be on the lookout for them and keep my dog close especially at night.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by tylerduce View Post
    Dr. Valerius Geist has written about wolf and dog interactions and how wolves often risk interbreeding with dogs when they loose their fear of humans.
    VG a good friend of my gals family. His opinion, wolves within range of urban areas should not be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    One thing that comes to mind if this was a campsite that was used before would be a partially smoked joint or roaches. They made my sons dog sicker than hell, can't remember if he puked but definitely in and out of consciousness. Vet told him some dogs react way worse than others.
    My female Weim loves to eat pot. It’s like candy to some dogs, and others have zero interest in it. My dog has eaten it multiple times (we now have to muzzle her at first if camped in a known campsite, as she will key in on any pot right away so we can clean it up), and her reactions are more subdued. She will howl, get “zoomies” and run like a lunatic, followed by peeing herself and then finally sleep. Never loss of consciousness or vomiting. I would consider mushrooms as another culprit if vomiting and loss of consciousness are there.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

His dog must like it also as it has happened twice now. Second time was more subdued compared to the first. They are real leery around popular campsites now.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach