Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mule deer migration to lower elevations

Re: Mule deer migration to lower elevations

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I shot a buck once when it was running away by whistling at it, and I've stopped whitetails before by doing my own wheeze snort at them..good luck..
    Mulies are very curious especially the younger ones and will come to investigate noises pre rut Grunts , wheezes etc .The big boys not so much although I have seen a large 4 point follow a curious doe during the rut . Whitetails require different techniques depending on terrain

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Ok thanks for pointing that out, can’t believe how wrong I was and how right you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I don't know why he always attacks me so vicously.

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    Deers were still at 7000’ on Saturday.
    I'v seen them at over 6200' in the middle of Nov., in fact there were dropped antlers up there. Those high country bucks and does if they don't have to migrate they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Mulies are very curious especially the younger ones and will come to investigate noises pre rut Grunts , wheezes etc .The big boys not so much although I have seen a large 4 point follow a curious doe during the rut . Whitetails require different techniques depending on terrain
    I agree about the MD curiosity..the whitetails I find are never curious, they're always cagey..

I’ve seen does still browsing up high in a foot of snow. Don’t think a dusting of snow up high will bring them down. Doubt any place in southern bc has a foot of snow up high in any given first week of October.

No deer around could be due to the dryness out there but nothing with migration out of the high country.
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Every mountain is different. The snow is not the determining factor as to when the deer migrate. By the 2nd or 3rd week in September there are areas in region 3 that are void of deer no matter how the weather is. Alpine areas in region 8 where they don't migrate until late December or when the snow pushes them down. all I hunt is alpine .
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    We were at 4500ft and didn't see any in the cut blocks or on the edges of any openings. But once we decided to go after them a little more aggressively we found them deep inside the cool dark timber (blowdown galore). Essentially impenetrable.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to pacify deer once they start making the blowing sounds? F me!
    Once they've blown its too late, generally. Out of frustration and knowing that they're going to leave anyways I've blown back at them. Sometimes it gets you a bit of extra time. If they don't bolt they try to circle down wind. peering through bushes/ using topography to try to get the scent or visual of what made the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    Deers were still at 7000’ on Saturday.
    Elk were up over 7500’ not so long ago! Too high up for a reasonable pack out.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon