Thread: Close Encounter

Close Encounter

My wife and I went out on a day trip in an area to bear hunt and grouse hunt. On one of the old logging roads we encountered a Bull and Cow moose.. At first we didn't see the cow and could only see the top portion of the bulls antlers... Because that part of the road was shaded and hilly we could not readily identify. As we got closer I glassed and to my surprise it was a big bull with a cow to his left. He kept standing there, she turned her head and started to walk towards us, curious I guess, with no fear. As she moved the big bull followed and they came ever closer. The cow kept coming and my ownly thought at the time was if she gets too close and the bull thinks his lady is threatened he might charged. I decided to back up and give them some room. However to my surprise the cow kept walking towards us. I managed to quickly turn around and left. In my rear view I could see her still walking towards us. The cow was actually larger than the bull and he was a legal one , unfortunately the season is a few weeks away.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Close Encounter

Flathead some years ago . . .
    Came into a small level grass clearing and could see two moose on the far side facing away, heads down.
    Thought it was a cow with last years calf. Snorted through my nose, both turned . . . . bull with cow.
    Waved my arms and backed into the trees. They were about 40 yds.
    Lucky.

My dad told a story of a hunt and the drive up the Fraser canyon when still going thru those old blasted tunnels.
    He talked about a big bull moose that turned a very bug into a crushed beer can.
    I have had several instances while elk calling and having a bull moose come towards me.
    One time I had to put a big tree between him and me.
    If you get them just in the week or do before the rut, when they are getting fully tranced and eager, watch out.
    Probably the most dangerous time around them.

I have had rut crazy bull moose come straight towards me while calling elk in sept. I have had to back away and then head for the truck or atv. They eventually snapped out of it. One time while bow hunting elk a bull moose came toward me moving his head from side to side and looking at me out of the corner of his eye, just like that Jim Shockey video when he was smashing the paddle against the brush. I backed of there and had to yell at the one. It was a bit unnerving. All I had was the bow. My uncles brother inlaw was almost killed by a bull moose while hunting.
    Gotta be carful, now I always have a rifle over my shoulder even when bow hunting.
    A few times I have even had cow moose come to me and roar almost like a bear, hair on shoulders standing up. So you got to watch them too.

I much rather when I have moose tag and its hunting season then when they come in and give me the stink eye I give them the dirt nap.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    then when they come in and give me the stink eye I give them the dirt nap.
    gave me a good laugh