Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elk Thread

Elk Thread

Not sure if one was started so here goes .
    Im looking to gain knowledge of these majestic mammals . I hope to harvest one .

#1 When do they rut typically ?

#2. Is the meat palatable after they rut ?

#3. Can you hunt them on private land as long as all hunting regulations are followed as well as no shooting areas . I know you need the land owners permission anything else that may factor in ?

Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk Thread

Depends where in the province.
    More north, seems to be the earlier the rut, can start in later part of august.
    More south, later in September into October.
    OR
    anytime in between.
    I honestly haven’t had a bad elk ever, but most were shot the last days of September or early October.
    The most tender bull I had was the biggest oldest one, with his buglers all worn away and full of holes.
    mught have been that I was able to keep it at a cooler and hung for a 10 days compared to most I had to cut up.
    Meat was getting just the slightest tint of ripeness when you put your nose to it..
    I don’t think the bulls where I hunt get too much pressure from other bulls due to low numbers.
    Maybe a bull with a harem that is challenged a lot and continuously chasing other bulls of his cows might be a big more tough if taken later vs early on.
    Peivate land always requires permission.
    The no shooting can be posted by that owner or they might be regulations that do not allow it.
    In which you might be allowed bow.
    Depends who posted the signs and for what reasons, but don’t ever just rely in signs when you know you are in areas of private property or protected areas that are usually in the regs.
    Private properties outside of those in the regs really need one to one with owner, period.

Find a open season as close to home as possible. Scout hard , salt licks , cameras , cut some trails in the late spring if needed , obsess over learning to call, I would pick a lower density area I can scout more, then a crap shoot for 10 days to “hunt” in a popular busy area you’ve never been. Get in great shape as you need to cover miles of land , often in thick hell of a jungle. I’ve found some huge bulls this summer , and I don’t have to compete with 1/2 of vancouver come September to hunt them. Find your pockets and get to know the land , what time thermals change and different approaches pending on wind direction.

also be prepared to be hooked once you have your first bull at 25 yards screaming so hard your chest is rumbling. Good luck

Thank You Bugle and RackStar !
    Arctic Lake

Rack is right about being in great shape.
    I went they a break up years ago and found myself with a lot of spare time so in the gym 6 days a week, spinning classes and cardio, weights for 2 years straight.
    When that September rolled around, I covered ground like no other time in my life and with ease!
    Took my biggest bull ever, one part was luck ti have him there, but I know because of being in shape, I made a move up a hillside that I either would have taken the long route or been much slower up and certainly have missed the chance.
    My one partner was still half way down the hill when the opportunity to take the shot happened.
    And yes, it’s a huge addiction once you get the first bull to respond to you and adrenaline shaking when he starts coming in.
    If ever need info in bugling/calling pm me.

1) already been covered.
    2) I’ve never had a bad elk, and that covers bulls and cows from August, September, October, January, and February. I prefer the taste of bulls though. One thing I don’t see mentioned much though, if you kill a bull that is actively rutting, skin off that piss patch first and change knives. Lessens your chances of touching it and then touching meat. Get that hip bone socket opened up and it will cool quicker.
    3) same rules as crown, but you need permission.

Thank You again fellas !
    In regards to Kodiak Hunter mentioning piss patch are you talking about the metatarsal gland or where they urinate down their legs ?. How do I tell exactly ?
    Arctic Lake

Bulls piss on themselves, all the way up
    their belly to between their front legs to smell good for the ladies. You’ll know, it will be black and wet. Skin that patch off without cutting through it (if you are going to gut it.) I generally skin down from the spine and remove everything off the top side, the flop him over and do the other and avoid handling the entire patch completely. But if you are going to gut him, skin that patch off first.

Yup, that’s a smell you never forget and if you find multiple empty elk sized beds, you will know which box is the bulls.
    Food comment on the 2 or more knives.

As a fella who has skinned a few animals , beef , deer , moose , I’m trying to picture doing this if I’m going to gut it I’m trying to picture that as I have always skinned with the spine down as if in a cradle . Any YouTube videos I wonder ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Bulls piss on themselves, all the way up
    their belly to between their front legs to smell good for the ladies. You’ll know, it will be black and wet. Skin that patch off without cutting through it (if you are going to gut it.) I generally skin down from the spine and remove everything off the top side, the flop him over and do the other and avoid handling the entire patch completely. But if you are going to gut him, skin that patch off first.