Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: West Kootenay Elk Hunters

Re: West Kootenay Elk Hunters

Only had a couple days off between jobs but was onto 3 different bulls in 2 separate areas, had a look at 2 of em. The bulls actively firing off were 6000’ elv with the one exception being a valley bottom cutblock. He had found a stray cow the day prior, tracks all over the road until they bailed off the road. Fired a quick bugle and he let me know where he was, pretty content tending to her in the thick shit so I came back the next day in a cutblock below that point. We had a 2.5hr scream fest trying to get him out of the timber until he finally got a whiff. Sept 17 ish.
    The bugles I heard unprovoked were late afternoon, quiet, and short. Came back in the morning with a rough idea where they are, bugle to locate and I’d get a response right on top of my call.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Seems it's going to be another year with many illegally downed 5 points in that region. Good on you for making sure & taking a pass on the one you spotted.
    That’s a Interesting statement Mike Is There ? A Lot of 5 pointers shot each year ? Any specific MU area - Wondering . RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    That’s a Interesting statement Mike Is There ? A Lot of 5 pointers shot each year ? Any specific MU area - Wondering . RJ
    I've seen some articles with alarming numbers from last season but don't recall where. Here's a quote in a recent post on FB group British Columbia Backcountry Hunters & Anglers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Brit...countryHunters

"Message from Kootenay Wildlife Biologists and Conservation Officers:
    A substantial number of five point elk are being illegally harvested during the six point or greater elk season in the Southern East Kootenay. In 2021, the number of illegal elk harvested hit a record high, with 56 five point or smaller elk killed over the course of the season. Wildlife biologists and Conservation Officers are concerned that elk are being illegally harvested at a similar rate this fall after 10 five point bulls were killed in the first 12 days of the rifle season.
    Please spread the message to take extra time when counting points and judging length of tines to ensure the elk meets the legal definition of a 6-point or greater bull as shown on Page 3 of the BC Hunting and Trapping Synopsis.
    Thank you for being responsible wildlife stewards."

Assuming these were licensed hunters who made errors & self reported or were caught during a check, if you add poachers & other illegal kills, it might not be long until there's a complete moratorium on elk hunting.
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-02-2022 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    I've seen some articles with alarming numbers from last season but don't recall where. Here's a quote in a recent post on FB group British Columbia Backcountry Hunters & Anglers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Brit...countryHunters

"Message from Kootenay Wildlife Biologists and Conservation Officers:
    A substantial number of five point elk are being illegally harvested during the six point or greater elk season in the Southern East Kootenay. In 2021, the number of illegal elk harvested hit a record high, with 56 five point or smaller elk killed over the course of the season. Wildlife biologists and Conservation Officers are concerned that elk are being illegally harvested at a similar rate this fall after 10 five point bulls were killed in the first 12 days of the rifle season.
    Please spread the message to take extra time when counting points and judging length of tines to ensure the elk meets the legal definition of a 6-point or greater bull as shown on Page 3 of the BC Hunting and Trapping Synopsis.
    Thank you for being responsible wildlife stewards."

Assuming these were licensed hunters who made errors & self reported or were caught during a check, if you add poachers & other illegal kills, it might not be long until there's a complete moratorium on elk hunting.
    Those are just the ones found or reported, actual numbers will be higher then that, as you say but many hunters dont seem to care about it.
    And its not just elk this is happening to.
    Last edited by LBM; 10-02-2022 at 10:22 AM.

just listened to this while in the stand

https://thehunterconservationist.com...VZbkyycH_97GTg

bull/cow ratios will be the season killer, 10:100 is pretty poor
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I hug ave hunted elk long enough.
    I wish folks that do hunt them do accept that more times than not the bull you see will be a 5pt.
    And honestly, if you have to hum and ha if that little protrusion is a legal 6th point, best to leave it alone and put the rifle down!
    There really should be no excuse for killing a 5pt in 6 season.
    Ince in a blue moon I can accept that someone mistook a branch for a tine.
    But not the way it’s being reported by The bio/co.
    No excuse for that bs.

I wonder how many of those 5 pts that have been shot have had the classic 3pt crown and only one brow tine? I worked a bull this year with nice tall headgear and a beautiful, long, 3pt. Split up top. All points were well polished and easy to count but there was no way I could find the second brow (tray?) tine on EITHER side. He may have had dinky little trays that never got polished and were the same colour as his mane, but if so I couldn’t find them, even at at 50 yds. I walked away with a sick feeling that he wouldn’t survive the season because someone wouldn’t bother to do a full count. Found a bull once before that sported a classic 6 pt’s crown but had only one brow. Such a waste.

It would be a good idea if CO/Bios could pass along a bit more info on the antler configuration actually (^^^^so good point!!)
    If these 5pts are leaning towards missing a brow tine ( broken off tine) vs just shooting a flat out 5pt with nothing missing.
    Just a better idea if folks are just wreckless or careless.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    I wonder how many of those 5 pts that have been shot have had the classic 3pt crown and only one brow tine? I worked a bull this year with nice tall headgear and a beautiful, long, 3pt. Split up top. All points were well polished and easy to count but there was no way I could find the second brow (tray?) tine on EITHER side. He may have had dinky little trays that never got polished and were the same colour as his mane, but if so I couldn’t find them, even at at 50 yds. I walked away with a sick feeling that he wouldn’t survive the season because someone wouldn’t bother to do a full count. Found a bull once before that sported a classic 6 pt’s crown but had only one brow. Such a waste.
    Seen that a fair bit in certain MUs in the EK where they dont grow the lower tines, have also heard many say if its got 3 on top its good to go, so not taking the time to identify there target. One last year was a 4 point, they even had a spotting scope on it so go figure. Back when there was the cow draw we found
    spikes shot as well.
    Many that I have seen shot and left have just small bumps not a legal tine. Many of those make it to peoples homes as well if there not seen or caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    I wonder this as well. Was bugling back and forth with one in mid September, but the first good look at one in the area was this past week on the road out in the evening, lower down the mountain. Barely legal light, and he vanished into the darkness after a quick stalk. Beautiful split up top, but couldn’t get passed 90% of seeing if it was a 5 or 6 point for sure. I’m not taking the risk on that, although it will probably haunt me all winter.

They seemed far more vocal in mid month, but now I just get crashing around and faint cow calls poking in all directions.