Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: West Kootenay Elk Hunters

Re: West Kootenay Elk Hunters

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    For sure makes sense...in this instance, the herd bull was actually bugling from what sounded like the front while the cows were in the rear, weird eh..
    In your buddy's case where he bugled first I would say the bull probably positioned himself between a perceived threat and his girls, so not so weird in that case.

I don't think there's much else could have been done. At last light moving in to the timber just robs you of that much more light to count by with the added peril of being busted by one of the cows. Sometimes bugling the opposite direction and moving away will drag a bull with you, but in this case I doubt this guy would leave his girls, or the safety of the timber. Just another one of those plays that keeps you coming back for more

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    In your buddy's case where he bugled first I would say the bull probably positioned himself between a perceived threat and his girls, so not so weird in that case.

I don't think there's much else could have been done. At last light moving in to the timber just robs you of that much more light to count by with the added peril of being busted by one of the cows. Sometimes bugling the opposite direction and moving away will drag a bull with you, but in this case I doubt this guy would leave his girls, or the safety of the timber. Just another one of those plays that keeps you coming back for more
    Absolutely, thanks for the reply..

Thanks for bringing the convo back to the original topic. Lots of interesting accounts and tactics. Hope everyone had a fulfilling season whether or not the freezer was filled.