Thread: Thoughts/Experience on unseasonably high temperatures impacting hunting

Thoughts/Experience on unseasonably high temperatures impacting hunting

I'm planning on getting out this weekend but have never hunted deer with temp's as high as they are forecast to be this weekend (mid 20's). What are your thoughts/experience on how these temperatures are/will be impacting deer behaviour activity?
    - Sapper
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Thoughts/Experience on unseasonably high temperatures impacting hunting

Been 28 around these parts... grouse and bears really come out at last light. Deer a little later than that.

Even the duck hunting has been the squirts. Warm and clam.

Back in the day, I took advantage of the youth hunting season at the beginning of September and used to see many deer at the height of the day (sometimes pushing 30 C!).

I shot a deer this September at between 9&10am - it was already 20 C and the deer was standing on the side of a FSR in the middle of a big clear cut - not a lick of shade around for hundreds of meters!

Point of the above being, get out and hunt. The animals don’t have the luxury of taking a day off from the elements. Sometimes they hunker down in the rain, but sometimes they walk around. Sometimes they wait for the heat of the day to pass, but sometimes they don’t.
    The biggest factor with this friggin unseasonable heat is meat care - you gotta get things skinned out and into shade near a stream or a cooler pronto - better yet, get it hung or cut right away.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Doesn't seem to affect them all too much. Seen plenty of deer running around in the mornings and afternoons during early September. I would just focus on first light and last light as usual.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

In some areas where the warmth is paired with a drought, may even be an advantage as water sources are not what they usually are so more travel is needed
    The WT around here have changed patterns
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

As mentioned above, put more emphasis on first/last light and water sources...the dry conditions have made hard pack ground so definitely more effort has been required to find fresh sign thus far this season.. and, if overcast days are mixed in between warm days, so far I've noticed the whitetails have been out until late morning: my buddy and I almost got 2 (1 a cranker ) late mornings this year..