Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Settle a quick debate...a legal answer?

Re: Settle a quick debate...a legal answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfarmer View Post
    Would still take a gun, you don’t know what else has decided to take “possession” overnight.
    hmm if found with rifle at night...what am I doing with rifle at night...looking for A DEER
    hmmm hunting at night by definition..

if found and checked..cancelled deer tag..no deer...hmmm STILL looking for him...fill in the rest.
    be safe be sure...
    if unsure wait till next day,after...if finding deer cancel tag
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by shortrange View Post
    Once you kill the animal it is harvested, and no longer available for other hunters to harvest. Just because you leave it overnight is not really an issue. You should cut the tag as soon as you know you killed the animal, and before you retrieve the carcass. In my experience, CO's will not debate the finer points of property law. They will usually give you their interpretation of the hunting regs. ��
    Bad advice that can get you a ticket for sure.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

to answer the original question: I would just cut the tag for the day before when the animal was shot if it was on the boundary of dates. Mid season I would just cut for the day of. If I happen across a CO in a game check or in the field and questions were asked, I would be honest and tell the story if they bothered to ask. I really don’t think it’s a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmm if found with rifle at night...what am I doing with rifle at night...looking for A DEER

if found and checked..cancelled deer tag..no deer...hmmm STILL looking for him...fill in the rest.
    be safe be sure...
    Srupp
    i understand the pragmatism of not wanting to carry a gun/bow past the season, but realistically it doesn’t make much sense. Further it is not illegal to have a gun in the woods.

now in your situation what happens when you come across the deer/elk/moose/bear and it’s not dead. Are you going to strangle it with your bare hands or knife it to death??? Take your gun and do it humanely. And I ain’t walking into grizzly country to get my downed elk without a gun — I don’t care what day it is.

hmm my point was not to carry at night..concerned..wait till day break go look with rifle..coyote wolf are open not illegal to carry...during day..

phone co...ask how much $$$$ precutting a tag will cost you..shooting at..finding blood is not harvesting an animal.....

so your heading out..cut your tag cuZ your certain you are going to harvest a deer
    when asked to see your tag and its cut...where is your deer..? your answer ???
    cheers
    i wont interrupt again
    srupp

be safe be sure...
    Srupp
    If you are still searching for a wounded animal and it gets dark, you can’t be expected to not have your rifle. What are you going to do? Put down your rifle at sunset+1 hour? Not going to happen.

I always have a short barreled shotgun in my truck to dispatch wounded game on our highway (not debating legality of this today), so I would go back and look for my deer with my 12 gauge, which would clearly not cause the .308 or 7mm wound my rifle would. Ergo, no chance I shot it today, and no chance a grizzly or pack of wolves will eat me the next day.

Edit: I posted before seeing your amendment Steven. I posted with no intention of calling you out, just to offer my thoughts.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

HUNT AND HUNTING - includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured) with intention to capture the wildlife, or(b) while in possession of a firearm or other weapon.

out of regs if it helps
    Last edited by Grizzlydick; 09-29-2022 at 03:35 PM.

one more for ya,

UNLAWFUL TO
    P.11

1. To be in possession of a big game animal withouta properly cancelled species licence or otherwiseby licence, permit, or a provided by regulation.Any person who kills any big game species mustimmediately after the kill and before handling thebig game killed, cancel the appropriate specieslicence in accordance with the instructions on thatlicence.

I wouldn’t be cancelling a tag until I had a dead animal.
    In the situation with the youth hunter looking for possible dead or wounded animal the next day, that would be with an uncancelled tag. If I found that animal dead, then I’d cancel the tag for the day before because that’s when it was shot/killed.
    If I found him alive would be trickier because it’s in a closed season now and killing it then could easily be considered poaching by a CO that may not believe your story. If the animal is down and obviously dying, then I would still finish the job and take my chances with a CO. If the animal is alive and well enough that it requires more hunting him down to get him, then that’s getting into questionable territory.
    Real world situations don’t always match laws/rules.

be safe be sure...
    Srupp

Personal security precedes any rules for me

I wouldn’t cut a tag until it is laying before my feet and never moving again.
    If searching at night, I will take my rifle if I deem it necessary.
    Hell, I have walked out miles in the dark with my rifle after nightfall.
    Even had CO pull up to me as I was walking out with a headlamp on!
    Rifle was unloaded but never asked.
    If I found it the day after season ended because I shot it the day before in season then I would cut tag for day before.
    Let then prove otherwise!
    Innocent until “proven guilty”.