Thread: heated insoles or cold weather boots...

heated insoles or cold weather boots...

I tired some thermocells - work well but way too thick to be practical in a hunting boot, they take up too much volume. Anyone have any experience with other insoles?

What about insulated boots? I am determined to not spend another late season with frozen toes in my uninsulated Meindls...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: heated insoles or cold weather boots...

You sitting or walking/still hunting?

I have a set of heavy pack boots for sitting in the blind like these one. Incredibly warm for sitting, but heavy!

https://www.marks.com/en/dakota-mens...ae&fo_s=gplaca

For still hunting/walking I have an old set of Sorel Mavericks that are still great, but are loosing their support. They don't make them anymore, so my next set is going be from Schnee's. Pricey, but I think one of the best winter season hunting boots.

https://schnees.com/hunter-ii-10/

You cab also try insulated Elk Trackers or other insulated leather hunting/hiking boot, but I really like the rubber bottom, leather uppers.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I had the same issue. Went with some Crispi Wildrock Plus GTX insulated. My Hanwags weren't cutting it late season. Marks had them on 40% off when I got them so it was an easy decision. 400grams primaloft still allows me to hike around without getting super sweaty feet and warm enough to sit and glass for a couple hours. If I was spending all day in one spot I'd think pack boots would be better.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Like Sitkaspruce asked what type of hunting are you doing? For late season still hunting I have a older pair of La Cross pack boots with rubber bottoms and leather uppers that are about 12in. high that still work well but I have looked at the Schnee pack boots I think I saw them at that Vernon hardware store that sells the Meindls, they look like a great boot. For stand hunting I use those La Cross pack boots plus I have a set of those Arctic Shield over boots that work REAL GOOD! The first time I used the over boots I couldn't believe how well the worked. I'v sat in Sask. while it was -20 C all day using them without any foot or hand warmers shoved in the boots. One thing about the over boots their not meant to be used for walking there's no tread and are really slippery on snow. I put them on when I get to my stand and remove them when I leave.

kenetrek sells a mountain boot with 400 and 1000 grams of thinsulate, and come in wide foot models if you need it...I like the uninsulated boot myself but I have extra room for insoles/sock combos if needed

for my november whitetail hunting I like the irish setter gunflint boots, 1000g's thinsulate and what they call the king toe box, no cutting off circulation with thick sock/insole combos...they keep my feet warm and are more nimble if i want to do some still hunting than the big baffins, although the baffin style boot is hard to beat if you are sitting in a blind all day
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Put a hat on. The body will prioritize the head and trunk and shut down blood to the extremities, feet, hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Put a hat on. The body will prioritize the head and trunk and shut down blood to the extremities, feet, hands.
    Was thinking the same. It's also amazing what good leg insulation will do for your feet.
    As per cold weather boots, I like my 1000 gram Elk Trackers or my Arctic Sport Muck boots.