Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You see an animal that’s suffering…

Re: You see an animal that’s suffering…

No one wants to have an animal suffer but the surrounding circumstances would likely dictate.
    In season with a tag to cut it's a done deal.
    Non-huntable urban area and firearm needed to dispatch: more difficult
    Last edited by Ponderosa Pine; 09-28-2022 at 06:45 AM.

What difference does it make if there is a tag to cut? Are people seriously taking a damaged animal
    home that has been hit by a vehicle and is stressed and damaged or is otherwise sick, to EAT?!?

You didn’t “hunt” that animal, you merely ended it’s suffering.

What about this: you drive around a corner in September, and there is a woman crying next to a mule deer doe tangled up in the wheel well of her car. Doe is bleating and crying and thrashing around, lady is crying, and all you have is an axe. What do you do? “Sorry lady, there isn’t a mule deer doe season right now, I can’t help
    you. When I get to cell service I’ll call a CO.”

No, you do what needs done, you help get the person on the road, and you carry on with your day. That isn’t hunting, it’s humanity.

Agreed, we can still be humane.
    I know nature can be harsh, and lots of this happens that we do not see or witness.
    Its not like they can get help on their own!
    Not like us.
    So, if it looks bad, like after hitting a deer on the road and it’s just laying there, unable to get up, then time to man up.

The only concern is not running afoul of the CO’s. Without that issue, badly wounded animals would be put down without hesitation. That’s why I would call the CO before mercy shooting anything that anyone might report.

Honestly, most of the time I buy a bear tag is not to go hunt them at all.
    Its to legally deal with a pesky bugger every so often that finds the stuff in your camp a big chew toy.
    Even if the food and bbq are away, they find something appealing like bike seats or whatever.
    Sometimes they just like to keep coming back.

they seem to love chewing on gas cans like they are bubble gum...heheh...i also get a bear and cougar tag every year but never hunt them
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Honestly, most of the time I buy a bear tag is not to go hunt them at all.
    Its to legally deal with a pesky bugger every so often that finds the stuff in your camp a big chew toy.
    Even if the food and bbq are away, they find something appealing like bike seats or whatever.
    Sometimes they just like to keep coming back.

I have harvested a bear I nick-named him "Tripod". He had four legs but had only three feet/paws. Not sure if he lost one from trapline and had no choice but to bite off his own limb.
    Too many hobbies, too little time.

Thought about it, just depends on the extent of the injury, say hit by a car and paralyzed, then yes put it out, but if in the wild most likely let nature take it's course, eat or be eaten...
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Years ago i saw a cow elk with what appeared to be a broken rear hip could not walk very good and struggled to keep standing and move around. I was all set to put her out of her misery. Then I decided to let nature take it's course. In the spring I seen that cow elk again she was still having trouble getting around but she had a new born calf with her and both doing ok. I say let nature take it's course because you never know what she has planned.