Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowshoe Hare Recipes?

Snowshoe Hare Recipes?

Today I was lucky enough to bag my very first hare and now I am left with a slight conundrum, I haven’t the faintest idea how to cook the bugger! I’ve never tried to cook anything remotely similar to rabbit before. I don’t suppose anyone is willing to share Grandma’s rabbit stew recipes, eh? Appreciate any input, thank you.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Snowshoe Hare Recipes?

Cacciatore! Slow and long. They are lean and tough. Rinella had a bunch of great recipe’s

https://www.themeateater.com/recipes/ingredients/rabbit
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Grind it with a onion make your burger pattie and eat a burger typically a burger or two a bunnie.

We only shoot them when theres lots there still in low cycle.. like when its good cycle we will up coolers with them and grind. Always clean and skin right away..

Butter bunny is always a hit in our house. Put the meat in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker with a jar of butter chicken or vindaloo sauce from Costco and cook for 45 minutes. Had my kids screaming "MORE BUNNY!" at dinner when they were toddlers.

Brunswick stew, or cooked with mustard vinaigrette in tinfoil.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I cooked one up in an Indian curry and another in a Thai red-curry. The Indian curry dish was ok - the hare was fantastic in it though. I’d never cooked an Indian curry from scratch, so I just chalked it up to my inexperience. I more or less followed the MeatEater cookbook for their rabbit curry recipe.

The red curry was fantastic and the hare meat was perfect for it. Thai red curry is a staple dish in my house though, so that might’ve played into it.

I’m keen to get a few more and try them in my butter chicken recipe.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Substitute hare for chicken and find a good lettuce wrap recipe, delicious.

I'll see if my Dad's old recipe for Rabbit Surprise is still kicking around at his house back in Wpg. We used to snare them in the winter and the Surprise recipe was my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Knute View Post
    Substitute hare for chicken and find a good lettuce wrap recipe, delicious.
    I too find the meat similar to chicken, in both taste and texture...I have always liked making soups with snowshoe hare...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
    Today I was lucky enough to bag my very first hare and now I am left with a slight conundrum, I haven’t the faintest idea how to cook the bugger! I’ve never tried to cook anything remotely similar to rabbit before. I don’t suppose anyone is willing to share Grandma’s rabbit stew recipes, eh? Appreciate any input, thank you.
    If it's like domestic rabbit, don't over cook it whatever you do.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU