Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Settle a quick debate..

Settle a quick debate..

This should be an easy one I’d suspect..

you’re hunting last light, shoot an animal and are confident you made a good hit but it runs away, you decide not to pressure it and pull out for the night, returning the next morning and tracking down the animal.

when do YOU personally cut your tag if in this situation.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Settle a quick debate..

you do it when you have an animal down...and pull out a flashlight to track that last light shot.

You walk up to it confirm it's dead and cut your tag. I might be wrong but I think you can be in trouble for having a cut tag and no animal to go with it.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

Cut it when you are physically at the animal, confirmed dead. If you cannot find the animal, up to your own convictions if you consider that tag “used” or not.

CO stops you. Can I see your licenses please? So you shot a buck today? It’s four point only, can I inspect your buck? Oh you lost it?

i can’t see that going well with the wrong CO. Cut your tag when you have your deer.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Thumbs up Re: Settle a quick debate..

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    You walk up to it confirm it's dead and cut your tag. I might be wrong but I think you can be in trouble for having a cut tag and no animal to go with it.
    This. 1,000 %
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Just before you start skinning it
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    you do it when you have an animal down...and pull out a flashlight to track that last light shot.
    absolutely, but tonnes of hunters make a sub par shot, or are hunting with a bow and pushing the animal and bumping it from its bed right after shooting it all but ensures a lost animal..

Once poking it in the eye with your barrel/bow to confirm death. Personally I would not cut it before or after this. The last light shot has always been a bit of a judgment call.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    absolutely, but tonnes of hunters make a sub par shot, or are hunting with a bow and pushing the animal and bumping it from its bed right after shooting it all but ensures a lost animal..
    Too many midnight tracks by flashlight have made me more of a first light fan. Back at camp making dinner and camp fire when the sun sets...unless it's with a solid group that's willing to burn the midnight oil tracking.