Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Settle a quick debate..

Re: Settle a quick debate..

tonnes ) maybe, but not the majority
    Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    absolutely, but tonnes of hunters make a sub par shot, or are hunting with a bow and pushing the animal and bumping it from its bed right after shooting it all but ensures a lost animal..
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    tonnes ) maybe, but not the majority
    maybe when you’re talking about rifle, but almost every bow hunter I know will leave the animal and not push it after an evening shot..

so the question is valid..

I expected people to say, after they found the downed animal.. but this can quickly be complicated..

last day of the season, you don’t find the animal that night but you find it the next morning, you clearly aren’t going to cut your tag for a day outside the legal season…

that’s where the debate started.

legally by the regulations, you are told NOT to cut your tag unless you’ve retrieved your game…
    so if you follow the law in this situation, it makes you break another law.

interesting conundrum, I’m sure it’s not common but I’m positive it’s happened.

As a CO told me, “when your standing over it”.

last light last day is a conundrum

If I walked in on a dead one, obviously it was killed the day before in the legal season, would cut the tag as such.

wounded, I don't think there is a legal obligation to retrieve a wounded animal
    so that short period when looking/hunting before finding could be dicey, just be looking for something in-season at the time, no loose lips

and finding the wounded but alive, would have to let it walk, by the law
    Last edited by high horse Hal; 09-24-2022 at 07:01 PM.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

If it’s a last light/last day of the season scenario, then I’m making a call to the CO service. The idea of a wounded animal suffering or losing an animal 50 yards from where last seen would bug the crap out of me. I’d like to think the CO would allow me the opportunity to finish what started out as a fair chase hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    You walk up to it confirm it's dead and cut your tag. I might be wrong but I think you can be in trouble for having a cut tag and no animal to go with it.
    Bingo read the regulations
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Bingo read the regulations
    thanks for your contribution.

So what you’re saying is you’d walk up to a 3pt mulie on November 1st the day after any Buck closes, tag it for November 1 and go about your merry way? Couldn’t think of a faster way to get a ticket for poaching out of season.

Edit

im going to go with phoning the CO and hoping they are in a good trusting mood, as both ways make you break the law otherwise.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 09-24-2022 at 07:34 PM.

So what you’re saying is you’d walk up to a 3pt mulie on November 1st the day after any Buck closes, tag it for November 1 and go about your merry way? Couldn’t think of a faster way to get a ticket for poaching out of season.

Edit

im going to go with phoning the CO and hoping they are in a good trusting mood, as both ways make you break the law otherwise.
    that is an interesting conundrum

Edit

Why would you tag it Nov 1 if Oct 31 was the “day of kill”? Assuming is wasn’t still alive the next A.M, in which case I wouldn’t be killing it or cutting a tag without a conversation with a CO.
    Pretend hunter.

Last day, last light animal that I don't retrieve until the next morning is going to have the tag cut for the day it was shot. Without standing over said animal with a watch to record time of last breath I have to assume it was prior to 11:59 pm.
    Assuming it didn't expire overnight and needed a coupe de grâce the next morning, my conscience would still be clear knowing that the animal was initially shot legally in an open season. If that's how it went down, there should be some evidence on the ground like old blood trail and/or the wounded bedding area to back up my story.

I don't spend much time thinking about imaginary "What If" scenarios in my head to fret over.