Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Region 8 Elk silent/not responding

Re: Region 8 Elk silent/not responding

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Region 8 elk are no different than those found anywhere else. The suggestion that they don't talk as much is just silly.

Use appropriate tactics combined with the right calls at the right time and you'll get responses. This is true for even the most pressured herds in the Okanagan. Peak rut has wound down but some of the best hunting/calling is yet to come in October.

For the OP, if that bull is chuckling at you, I usually take that as a good sign that he's ripe to be called in. It can take a bit to work him over but shows he's interested. Soft, low chuckles are calls to cows whereas sharp, higher pitched chuckles are a sign of dominance/aggression. One of the bulls we killed this year started low and we got him worked up, recognizing he thought he could come in and take the cows led to us cutting a tag on him.
    I left that place where he was chuckling to go to my other spot, which was a mistake in hindsight I think, definitely an aggression chuckle. Trip is over now but I am going back up a little East to try and get my friend his first Buck. Was thinking of stopping by my Elk spot on the way back for a bit.

What do you figure is good for post rut/October calling, my guess would be more on the Cow call side of things for Cows that didn't get bred/going into second estrous cycle rather than bugling?

Re: Region 8 Elk silent/not responding

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    I left that place where he was chuckling to go to my other spot, which was a mistake in hindsight I think, definitely an aggression chuckle. Trip is over now but I am going back up a little East to try and get my friend his first Buck. Was thinking of stopping by my Elk spot on the way back for a bit.

What do you figure is good for post rut/October calling, my guess would be more on the Cow call side of things for Cows that didn't get bred/going into second estrous cycle rather than bugling?
    Will pm you with some info. Fewer cows in estrous leads to more competition for the ones that are. Elk are very vocal in October and generally apply the same tactics used at the start of the season.
    Last edited by HighCountryBC; 09-27-2022 at 02:42 PM.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."