Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you prepare grouse?

How do you prepare grouse?

With groceries being so pricey these days, decided to be more intentional with shooting grouse this year. Have a few that our cleaned up and vacuum sealed in the freezer.

In the past we have bbq'd them, which turns out alright but wondering what others are doing?

BBQ? Soup? Instant pot? Breaded and fried? Feel free to share any recipe links!

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How do you prepare grouse?

look up a tarragon chicken recipe and substitute grouse breasts. slice them in half and pound flattish. finest way to prepare grouse in my opinion...

In my opinion game meat is at its best when it’s being braised or as part of a stew. Really anything that requires simmering it in some sort of liquid with a bunch of nice seasonings. Paprikash, coq au vin, stew, chili, soup etc.

Throw em in a bag with oil, flour , and salt and pepper, shake it around, then throw on hot pan - tasty..

Shake and bake coating then pan fried in some oil or flour with seasoning and same cooking method. Always delicious and the kids love it.

make sure not to overcook it.

rinse,,,pat dry,,,,,shak-N-bake em,,,,,,butter in frying pan,,,,,fry for aprox 6 min on each side,,,,,this my quick Grouse recipe when out camping//or cooking on a day huntin trip,,,,can be done on the tailgate of your truck
    Aim small,,miss small

Cut into strips, egg wash, rolled in flour(seasoned to taste). Inch of oil in a pan. Cook to golden brown.

Nothing like eating fresh grouse out in the bush.

Bone out the breasts, remove any lead from you body shooters, throw them in a bag with some light flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Get a CAST IRON pan medium hot with some good dollops of bacon grease melting, then add the breasts and brown them up. Drain off the grease if you feel like it, add a can of mushroom soup, more mushrooms, onion, garlic and salt and pepper. Turn down to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Serve with wild rice and green beans. It was the last meal I always cooked for my clients when guiding and never had anyone complain..LOL!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!