Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How to Call Moose

Re: How to Call Moose

The OP has provided very sound and accurate advice.

Srupp, I'm sorry but no one is calling a bull in from 5km away. No matter what type of call you're using, sound isn't travelling that far in the bush.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
    Call me old guy haha...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlK3GlvJDJY&t=178s

Link to video I made of my hunt... try not to laugh?
    Great video and calling. That's how you get it done!
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    The OP has provided very sound and accurate advice.

Srupp, I'm sorry but no one is calling a bull in from 5km away. No matter what type of call you're using, sound isn't travelling that far in the bush.
    hmm actually have the GPS locations of 2x one off Teslin bull came to the lake at the end 2.5 hours working down the lk..have photos of 59 inch rack..shot 120 yards from meat pole..other one was responding on a ridge..took his time..enough time that Tim got back to shoot him..
    it works from GREAT DISTANCES...
    Srupp
    first tiume ACCROSS A LAKE SECOND ACCROSS A lake to high ridge..i specifically did say woods cut down both scent range..and calling distance
    cheers
    Last edited by srupp; 09-27-2022 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmm actually have the GPS locations of 2x one off Teslin bull came to the lake at the end 2.5 hours working down the lk..have photos of 59 inch rack..shot 120 yards from meat pole..other one was responding on a ridge..took his time..enough time that Tim got back to shoot him..
    it works from GREAT DISTANCES...
    Srupp
    Awesome. Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Awesome. Nice work!
    thank you..however Tims moose that trip was 1 inch wider..lol
    cheers
    srupp

I haven’t read this thread as I’ve been busy,but I have some food for thought or questions.

You see a moose making his way in… do you call in his direction? 90 degrees? Behind you?

There was a some wolves where I was hunting last week. Do you find the bulls are more quiet when there’s predators around? I had a bull grunt at me 4 times over the course of 1.5 hours, but they were softer woofs instead of an aggressive grunt.

A couple guy's up hunting in region 6 watched YouTube and went got 2 moose on there daughter's leh.

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    October 1st one year the rut was in full swing. In one morning I saw 7 bulls in a small little area. I got to see cows calling bulls across the road, bulls fighting, and overall general pandemonium. The best day I ever had in the woods. Now my LEH is in the same region and I haven’t seen a bull in a week. Lol
    that one special morning will happen again, good luck
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I haven’t read this thread as I’ve been busy,but I have some food for thought or questions.

You see a moose making his way in… do you call in his direction? 90 degrees? Behind you?

There was a some wolves where I was hunting last week. Do you find the bulls are more quiet when there’s predators around? I had a bull grunt at me 4 times over the course of 1.5 hours, but they were softer woofs instead of an aggressive grunt.
    when I get a bull answering grunting...I respond back with another cow call...aiming the call at the direction of the bull...because thats what cows do...I raise the pitch of the call slightly..higher tone..a bit more drawn out call...the raise in pitch the drawn out length..is a change to say I hear you big boy...sometimes if the bull is answering but not coming in i turn my head and project the call away...as if the cow is moving off..and away .
    worked for over 40 years fooling bulls one at a time.....actually love calling moose .

when I see the bull..I titrate the volume..lower it in loudness..DO NOT MOVE they KNOW WHERE THE COW should be...be the cow..at oneness with your inner cow..if the bull has moved in he has herd and is interested..a real cow doesnt scream at full yilt boogie once the bull is seen .
    cheers
    Srupp
    Last edited by srupp; 10-04-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Srupp going up north for our leh staring Oct 16 much luck calling the latter part of OCT