Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Call Moose

Re: How to Call Moose

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Wow, you've been killing moose for 2.5 years longer than I've been alive...
    Call me old guy haha...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlK3GlvJDJY&t=178s

Link to video I made of my hunt... try not to laugh?

Quote Originally Posted by TUGGER View Post
    Srupp have you ever used a incense stick?
    yes I have...used a 2 litre plastic pop bottle...cut off the bottom large end..drill holes all around the the bottom 1 inch up...this air intake...drill similar holes where the bottle starts to narrow...smoke exit holes...keep the cap on..
    light stick...poke stick into ground...place bottle over the stick....this set allows for maximum burn time..build up of smoke...that exits equally around bottle

impressions. It did indeed smell like moose urine ..however with a distinct smoke odor my cloths smelled badly with combo...tried it for 3 days till buck expert juice arrived from Nanaimo with last hunter...got our moose couple days later. The smoke stick did not work for us that time...no moose close? that's my only time..and took 3x washing clothes lol
    I am not here telling anyone what they must do... I am trying to help...mentor ....
    good luck
    Steven

hmm video didn't work...looking forward to it
    Steven

Hmm, maybe have to right click and paste link into url?

I have found it takes a different approach to different circumstances. Early season the calling brings the bulls to the edge of the bush but not out in the clearing. I won't shoot if I don't see the boiler room.
    Some early Sept calling(10th) has brought them crashing through the bush only to stop out of sight and not come any closer.
    I know my calling works due to having bulls circling me on top of a big log burn pile in a clear cut. 20 feet up and I could watch the plop/huff with every footstep in Oct. Call for a bit and wait 1.5 hours to see what shows up from 4 km away. Some times it works.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

The very first time I did my cow call...a pack of wolves was nearby and started howling. Then later I moved a few hundred yards and saw two wolves starting at me. They had circled around. Yikes. so my call works on predators too!

Quote Originally Posted by fishhunt View Post
    The very first time I did my cow call...a pack of wolves was nearby and started howling. Then later I moved a few hundred yards and saw two wolves starting at me. They had circled around. Yikes. so my call works on predators too!
    LOL I called in a 400-pound grizzly...on seeing me he departed at a high rate of speed stage left..lol I remember laughing and saying out loud..." gotta work on my calling " I also called in a wolf ....seperate location years apart.
    steven

Quote Originally Posted by fishhunt View Post
    Yup bin-there-dun-that. Bears, lost domestic cows, Martin, pesky beavers, otters. The number 2 thing I seen come in is Lynx, they are very curious critters and by far the most quiet like smoke through the trees. My wife thinks I’m a expert caller, I can do moose, deer, elk and duck calls and always get a squirrel. Once I had porcupine that thought I was a good looker and had to beat him off with a stick. I’m not quite into that kind of relationship.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

The coolest experience I have had is stopping for a bite to eat and listening to a love sick cow call and call for a bull. This was in early Nov.
    She was in a swamp no man would ever walk through.
    I have regularly called wolves and they respond but I have never seen them. I think they have been shot at!!
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

October 1st one year the rut was in full swing. In one morning I saw 7 bulls in a small little area. I got to see cows calling bulls across the road, bulls fighting, and overall general pandemonium. The best day I ever had in the woods. Now my LEH is in the same region and I haven’t seen a bull in a week. Lol