Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last years fire closure

Last years fire closure

I can understand last years fire closure, but why has this been extended to this year?The claims of ‘stress’ to the animals is unrealistic..fires have ALWAYS been part of the equation, and even though game moves, burns green up and provides good habitat..What’s the rationale for not opening up last years fire areas? Is this just an excuse to curtail hunting?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Last years fire closure

The areas are generally more open and game is to easy to spot. The numbers would get decimated.

There is also a risk of destabilized ground and increased erosion.
    You can still walk into most of the zones though! Happy trails
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

We went up there and were informed by the CEO the area we hunt was closed, ( red lake to the highway though the rez) although there was no visible fire damage( why anybody would walk through a barren new burn is not known to me) The area was untouched by fire although several miles away it was burned.Fires are just part of the natural ecosystem ,game moves as it has for milenia
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 09-22-2022 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    We went up there and were informed by the CEO the area we hunt was closed, ( red lake to the highway though the rez) although there was no visible fire damage( why anybody would walk through a barren new burn is not known to me) The area was untouched by fire although several miles away it was burned.Fires are just part of the natural ecosystem ,game moves as it has for milenia
    Ok. Did you come here for answers or to kvetch?

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

If the ban was universal, I could live with it. It’s not, however, and FN are still allowed to drive their ATVs, should they wish, through the middle of a burn.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    If the ban was universal, I could live with it. It’s not, however, and FN are still allowed to drive their ATVs, should they wish, through the middle of a burn.
    They’re also allowed to pit lamp and shoot pretty well whatever they please, whenever they please…

The areas will probably be closed forever except to a certain group.3-17 burned years ago and is still closed to atv use and is still closed last time I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by 139grainsofhell View Post
    The areas will probably be closed forever except to a certain group.3-17 burned years ago and is still closed to atv use and is still closed last time I checked.
    Doesn't have to be off limits. But hunters have a responsibility to advocate for themselves. And this must be done in a collaborative approach. Make the case. Don't just complain on a website. I agree, in new burn areas, and in any new logging prescriptions, trails and roads should be completely reclaimed. Save the primary roads as an asset and future work. But remove the in block roads. Road management should be an agreed to and enforced term of condition of the harvest permit.

We should also advocate for the complete removal of the use of "Motor Vehicle Hunting Access Closures" MVHAC, and advocate for full MVAC. All vehicles. If the road is deemed to create a vulnerability to wildlife, It is the human footprint that disturbs wildlife. Not just during the hunting season. Could be during the calving season. Wood cutters, mtn bikers, ORV use.

As for the FN component. I believe there is change coming. It takes work and it is ongoing. No different than bringing the mindset of hunters to a place of common understanding.

I’m really wondering if the agenda is to make it so dificult to hunt with all restrictions and closures people will just give up …much like the salt water recreational salmon fishery…the marinas are empty