Thread: Elk Experts, I have questions

Elk Experts, I have questions

So, just came back from Pink Mountain, empty handed. We were there from the 10th to the 17th, no bugling, no hunters except for the guys that went back into the Redfern, It was warm during the day, about plus 10-15 and hitting 0 at night. Did we miss the rut? Is it late? We didnt see any sign to speak of either. We did see a nice bull caribou 6x6 (of course) and a cow elk on the highway north of the line for cows,,,and LOTS of grizzlies
    Last edited by .330 Dakota; 09-21-2022 at 08:04 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk Experts, I have questions

Sounds like they just weren't around. You definitely didn't miss the rut but right now is prime time. If you weren't seeing sign then they weren't there.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

It was very active the first week-ten days, then it slowed down as that warm weather rolled in. Some even feel that the smoke from the fires quieted things down.. Last weekend was active with bulls screaming and cows chirping, then it went quiet for this week. The crew killed two bulls by Sept 10, then had a few close encounters on the weekend, but no animals on the ground. Most of this action was north of FSJ.

I have heard that the Pink Mountain, Sikanni and Halfway has not been as active this year.

Next year it could be the total opposite, Elk are weird that way, especially up this way. They move around a lot.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    It was very active the first week-ten days, then it slowed down as that warm weather rolled in. Some even feel that the smoke from the fires quieted things down.. Last weekend was active with bulls screaming and cows chirping, then it went quiet for this week. The crew killed two bulls by Sept 10, then had a few close encounters on the weekend, but no animals on the ground. Most of this action was north of FSJ.

I have heard that the Pink Mountain, Sikanni and Halfway has not been as active this year.

Next year it could be the total opposite, Elk are weird that way, especially up this way. They move around a lot.

Cheers

SS
    Thank you, I was beginning to think I was jinxed