Thread: Another Mountain to Take Years off my Life?

Another Mountain to Take Years off my Life?

So I've driven the Anderson Lake power line road with a truck and cargo trailer as a "shortcut" to get to some hunting grounds on Carpenter Lake. And those hours of driving that road with light dusting of snow, took years off my life. I didn't know any better and should have done more research. So now...one hunting partner cancelled and some other hunters asked me to join them...in their Lake Revelstoke 4-38 moose hunting starting mid October.

Since, I've never been there, I'm doing some research and that area looks awfully similar to Anderson Lake. I see lots of mountains, big and steep mountains. The road goes along the lake. Looks like a big drop down, but it looks like it's all paved. I will likely have to go into Revelstoke for an internet connection to do some work at that time (busy mid October) every other day for a few hours and there may be snow mid October, and therefore the road could be closed/impassable, etc.

I know the answers for moose: Yes, there are some moose. No, the numbers are not like the good old days. They're trying to eliminate/reduce to save the caribou (I will never understand that logic).

My question is...would you hunt this area? Have you hunted this area? What are your thoughts? I'm thinking of going, and worse case, I can go into Revelstoke and spend a week there site seeing!

I noticed at the about 1 km south of the Downie Creek Rec Site, there seems to be about 20 houses with boat docks. Does anyone know what this is? I can't find any info on it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Another Mountain to Take Years off my Life?

I drove the Highline road along Anderson Lake in an old Dodge Aspen that I lifted and put bigger wheels in the back.
    Just put it in low gear and was careful not to spin the wheels and went up steady no problem.
    Right at the beginning of the road a sign said 4 wheel drive vehicles only.
    A few cars and 2 wheel drive trucks tried but all failed.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Tire chains, I’ve seen open dif pickups go in ice and snow where 4 wheel drives stopped. Both up and down hill, I’ve used them more for hold back on the down hill than up. In the peace river country the roads get as hard a concrete but a splash of rain they get as slick as YK jelly. You’re not stuck but you can’t move, funny as hell but true. A parked truck can slide of the crown of the road into the ditch.
    Last edited by MRP; 09-20-2022 at 04:17 PM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Thanks MRP. I have chains or should I say, "wannabe chains" as my truck has clearance issues with regular chains. My previous truck, I had 4 real chains, now I just have the low clearance on the rear wheels. Although, I think I'll get some for the front, even though they are not recommended by manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Tire chains, I’ve seen open dif pickups go in ice and snow where 4 wheel drives stopped. Both up and down hill, I’ve used them more for hold back on the down hill than up. In the peace river country the roads get as hard a concrete but a splash of rain they get as slick as YK jelly. You’re not stuck but you can’t move, funny as hell but true. A parked truck can slide of the crown of the road into the ditch.

Have been in the area later for goats and seen moose almost every day, but likely push together by snow in higher elevations
    Mid Oct will still be light on snow.....or not....

Roads are usually good but maintenance drops off the further away from the lake, Hwy 23N is well maintained
    Last edited by high horse Hal; 09-20-2022 at 06:48 PM.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Thanks High Horse

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    Have been in the area later for goats and seen moose almost every day, but likely push together by snow in higher elevations
    Mid Oct will still be light on snow.....or not....

Roads are usually good but maintenance drops off the further away from the lake, Hwy 23N is well maintained

Yes I’m familiar with that area, got a bull moose a couple years ago near Bigmouth. The road you’re looking at is hwy23N: you’re right it’s paved but it’s a sporty road in snow or ice as it’s basically a paved FSR. Road will be open almost certainly at that time but I’d definitely have winters and tire chains. The village you’re seeing is called Downie, it’s a chunk of private land that folks rent summer cottage plots for their covered RV.

Thanks bensonvalley. Was wondering why that chunk of land didn't have a name - privately owned makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bensonvalley View Post
    Yes I’m familiar with that area, got a bull moose a couple years ago near Bigmouth. The road you’re looking at is hwy23N: you’re right it’s paved but it’s a sporty road in snow or ice as it’s basically a paved FSR. Road will be open almost certainly at that time but I’d definitely have winters and tire chains. The village you’re seeing is called Downie, it’s a chunk of private land that folks rent summer cottage plots for their covered RV.