Thread: breasting in the field

breasting in the field

Been out to the Brunswick foreshore a few times now (yesterday's total was a teal for me and a widgeon for matty), and there seem to be a lot of snowgoose carcasses left out there. Which does seem like a nobler end for the bits we don't eat than trucking them to the landfill... But from my reading of the regulations, breasting the birds out in the field wouldn't be kosher, as you're supposed to leave a feathered wing attached. Am I reading them wrong, or are there a lot of folks out there just kinda ignoring that part of the regs?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: breasting in the field

You're right, some guys get a little lazy and sooner or later it's going to bight them in the ass when a CO is waiting at their vehicles for them.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

You can breast and leave a wing attached, it's messy, but keeps you legal. The only place you can remove the wing is at your normal place of residence, or place of consumption.

Myself, anytime I see carcasses in the marsh I draw only one conclusion..

You are reading the regs fine,

Ian

And the COs like to park there at the gate too.

Cool, that's what I thought. I'll admit carcasses left in the marsh looks ugly, but on the other hand leaving that food in the ecosystem to feed the raptors and 'yotes would seem defensible, other than violating the regs...

Not to mention the bad press is gives good hunters, when non hunters see the mess laying about.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

You hear this alot from the prairies, americans coming up and throwing all the breasted out birds in a ditch, sure all the other little scavengers will eat all thats left but farmers get fed up with the mess they leave.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Found something like that near Osoyoos. Big Canadas with lots of meat on them just breasted and left to rot.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/birdcleaning.php

take a look at this, haven't tried it myself, but thought someone may find it interesting.

Ian