Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help....Please

Help....Please

Hello everbody, wish I found this forum last year. I'm a beginner wing shooter here on Vancouver Island, and am facing the prospect of yet another year with no birds, making me more of a well armed hiker/pleasure boater then hunter. I've spent plenty of time shooting clay birds at the range and my dog is decently trained (although I think she has her doubts about me....), and really need some guidance to bring things together, mostly on where to find birds, not looking for anyone to share their secret sweet spot, just maybe a point in the right direction. Any help would be great, Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Help....Please

Cowichan Bay was roaring this morning, we could hear them from out place. I think we were chasing them back and forth between the Bay and us. Pretty easy access there, just have to watch the tide.

I tried knocking on doors last year in the cowichan bay area asthere is a lot of private property. Not everyone will say yes but there are some great areas. Just ask them politely; more times than not they'll say yes.

I put together a watefowling 101 series in september, search my name and you'll find them.

Ian

Did some scouting today, gonna head out tomorrow morning, hopefully I get out of work on time...any last pearls for the cowichan bay area?
    Last edited by wishbone; 11-19-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Day went well, Birds landed and swam around my decoys...first time ever, sometimes while I was calling, I'll take credit for it anyways, I can do a real pathetic 'come back' call, maybe they feel bad for me? I was so sneaky a heron almost landed on me. Had some much fun I am gonna go again tomorrow. I think I was choked to tight, at range would you recommend whay size choke?
    Last edited by wishbone; 11-20-2007 at 07:38 PM.

Steel acts different from lead so if you have screw in choke tubes, your C=Improved Cyclinder for steel, IC= Modified for steel, and M= Full for steel. Depending on what range you're shooting at, but C or IC will hold a good pattern out to 25-30 yards, and a M will be good from 30-45 yards. I shot a Modifed= Full for steel for a whole season you just get used to it being tighter at closer ranges.

The big thing you want to do though is pattern your gun with your chokes and whatever ammo you are using at whatever distance to see what truely is working the best. The same gun and same choke with same brand ammo but different size shoot, for instance, #2s compared to BBs, can produce quite different patterns. Best thing to do is test it out first.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian F. View Post
    I put together a watefowling 101 series in september, search my name and you'll find them.

Ian
    Could you provide a link or two to your waterfowling 101 series? I searched you name and got nothing that would even remotly come close to hunting waterfowl. Thanks.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Huntwritter,

You might have searched the wrong Ian, 95% of all the posts I make here are about waterfowling.

Here's a link to a search string that shows them http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/search...earchid=583596

Very best,

Ian

I googeld you name thinking you meant the internet. I clicked on the link you provided and it said “Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms”.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"