Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anderson FSR in 3-14

Re: Anderson FSR in 3-14

I remember years ago not so long after I got my first Nissan 4x4 in 1992, my Mrs. and me were on an elderberry picking trip up the canyon and on the way back from Lytton we saw the sign for the Anderson River Road.

"Hey let's see if there's anything up there." It was shortly before dark and we didn't see any elderberry bushes up there. Didn't have a real decent map either. No BC Recreational Atlas, this was before BC Backroads books, all we had was a big fold-out map from the forest service that they used to put out showing basic forest roads. This one was from the Chilliwack Forest District. It got dark but we kept going. Consulted the map and it seemed to show that we would emerge at the Coqihalla.

When we came to a major intersection we took what looked like the most travelled one. I seem to remember a kind of featureless plateau at kind of a summit. We were geting low on gas now so there was no point in turning back. It felt like we had travelling a couple hours too and I was starting to wonder if maybe we had made a big mistake and were going to run out of gas and be stranded God-knows-where.

By now I don't know where we were, Spius or Utzilius FSR. Anyway, we kept going and suddenly from the elevation we were at we could see the lights of traffic on Coquihalla way down below and zig-zagging downhill came out at Coldwater Road, I think it is, got onto the Coq. and by the time we got to Hope that Nissan 4-cylinder engine was running on fumes.
    Last edited by MichelD; 09-18-2022 at 04:51 PM.

Thank you all. I will try to make it back and provide some field report.
    "If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."

Quote Originally Posted by drbb View Post
    Thank you all. I will try to make it back and provide some field report.
    Awesome thank you. Might take a peek in there myself in a few weeks.

Here is the field report. I went up the Andreson FSR with plan to go to Coquihalla at the other end. saw a few service trucks going up the road as I took a rest at the junction. The first 3-4 km is steep, but road is ok and doable in most SUVs or trucks; not sure what happens when there is snow on the ground. The slope decreases after that and the road surface actually gets better. All is good until about the 10th km. The road then twists and goes next to the river for another 3-4 km until the main road is blocked completely at a fork, presumably because of a serious problem further on. The other road will take you a couple of km further until you reach a washed out bridge that is being repaired (cannot pass as crew are working ). Apparently there is another washed out bridge a bit further up, but I didn’t go any further. On my way back, I tried the smaller roads and all that I checked were unpassable after a few km because of the rockfalls.

Mohawkam is closed from 0 km.

so, not that promising. However, I had not ever seen so much bear sign around (fresh and few day olds). I actually saw two in that one trip, in the middle of the day (including a small cinnamon one). I didn’t see a single deer sign anywhere I hiked

hope this helps.
    "If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."

Dang missed the report and went to post my own here. I'm camped "somewhere" up in those hills now.

Where Anderson splits into Utiluis and East Anderson around 15km, Utiluis (the hook you would take to Merritt) is completely gone as far as the eye can see and I'd wager several kms are missing (anything that was near the creek)

The workers are going hard fixing East Anderson. They sure have punched through quite a bit. Curious what the interest on that road is, as it was just a loop back down to the canyon but it's been a bit of a rough beat up trail for the last decade... maybe some work planned there. Sure would be cool if they fixed the Merritt connection but I'd wager that's a lot of millions on a path few peeps ever poke through.

Was listening to the workers on the radio "Looks like there's gonna be a lot of hunters up this weekend eh" ... "Yeah man sure hope our gates still there when we come back on Monday" ... gave me a bit of a laugh there.

Hey anyone heading up especially during the week, bring a radio or scanner at the least, RR-10 (150.410)

I'll hang out for a day or two depending... having some jeep issues it turns out, gotta take it easy and keep a close eye on things.

That's all I got... transmission from transmission tower, over and out.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-30-2022 at 10:39 PM.

I realize there is a current vehicle closure up there but Mowhokam connects through to Nicomen (I'm sure that is well known) and over to Prospect. Follow prospect down to the snowmobile staging area and head up as if going to Cabin Lake. Another turn (two ways) will take you down to Spius at the corral. Up and through to Murray Lakes (could turn right and head out Uztilus Creek)...

That entire area is interconnected up there.

That said, I haven't been up since the flood so have no idea what is still passable or not....

I had the same antlerless draw in 3-14 and was successful yesterday. Hunted all over anderson - spurs - power lines with zero sign. LOTS of cougar tracks and coyote tracks. Anderson is plowed but highly recommend chains or a orv for any side roads as the snow is slick and lots of it. Ended up crossing some buck tracks heading downhill below the snow line . All sign below snow line so we headed to the south part of the region at Alexandre bridge we’re we were successful. Careful as it crosses into 2-17 for a bit