Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anderson FSR in 3-14

Smile Anderson FSR in 3-14

Folks,

I have had my first ever successful LEH (doe in 3-14). I have not been off the highway in that region and want to take a couple of scouting trips before November. I have searched this forum and the consensus on the ruggedness of the train is a bit deflating (too late now), especially for a solo hunter.

It looks like the main accessible road in 3-14 is Anderson FSR which seems to go all the way to Coquihalla. If possible, I would like to take this road and go from HWY 1 to 5 to enjoy the scenery and solitude. I have a 4x4, but don’t want to go and get stuck in some remote area or have to turn back before I get where I need to be.

Three questions to those who know the area:
    1- Can you let me know what the road conditions are?
    2- What is the likelihood of filling the tag (doe in November)?
    3- Any other suggestions for roads/areas in 3-14 to check?

Thank you in advance.
    "If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anderson FSR in 3-14

Last I heard, the road is washed out and impassable from last years storms.

Access is getting tough. Ive hunted this area lots in the past, lots and lots of wolf tracks, less and less deer sign. I think your time would be better spent up South Ainsle or Mohaqum

I have the same draw I’ll be closer to Lytton. The deer push down that way come November

Has anyone been up there since the storms? Last I heard Anderson was washed out and you couldn't get very far at all. That was a long while back.

Prior to the floods, it was passable to the Coq. I remember some switchbacks around 30km up Utiluis that were pretty beat up but do-able in the jeep. Snow could be another issue. Bring chains if it looks like there's any chance of snow. Last year woke up to a big dump of the white stuff while camped high up there, bit sketchy. There's always the chance of breaking down or having to turn around. Extra gas, gear to spend a night or two, sat messenger definitely a good idea.

Keep in mind the boundaries because you will be pushing into 3-13.

I've had that doe draw a few times but as luck would have it, all the does I see in October and all the <4pt bucks I see in November. Go figure.

Last trip I did find some new area that looked promising and was hoping to take a poke back up there this year. The big question though is... is the road even open?
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-18-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Be aware of the Mowhokam FSR closure

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sp...okam_creek.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    Access is getting tough. Ive hunted this area lots in the past, lots and lots of wolf tracks, less and less deer sign. I think your time would be better spent up South Ainsle or Mohaqum
    Seen the tracks over the years but had our first actual wolf sighting up there last year. Noticed the day prior some cattle up there that seemed all sketched out. Didn't see them the next day, but as we were walking along saw a huge friggin wolf in a clearing down below us. Didn't take long before it knew we were there and scooted back into the timber. Figure those cattle that were there previously were getting pressured at the very least.

Road is gone at 31km can’t get through

Quote Originally Posted by trapman View Post
    Road is gone at 31km can’t get through
    Thanks for the intel there. Sounds like there is still quite a bit of country accessible via Anderson and other roads albeit one way in one way out now.

What the heck... just noticed this?

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...ty-information

Anderson FSR 8074.01 (July 12 to August 19, 2022)
    No access at 0.5 km in support of ongoing environmental management.

Seems like it was closed for a while, maybe for fire season?