Thread: Bogus first day rifle

Bogus first day rifle

Firstly must say optimistically, still was a good day to be in the field. Any day huntin or fishin is better than a day on the couch.

Going into a small local elk hole that has been growing last few years, with some promising bull sign starting to show. It was couple hours after daylight and as I have disability now my days mission was to simply locate the core area as best as I could of the herd that I know is there. Entering the area I expected to be the fringe of the core area I am then stunned to see a small five point rag bull shot dead and laying in the ditch. Red flagging on his horns and clearly, a well placed clean shot had been made ending the young bulls days to mature. Saddened by this sight, of course my plans were altered by this illegal kill. I then took pics, not touching or approaching the downed bull. I moved on with my days work but now with a much different and more keen ''eye'' as to what the reaction to this the herd would have. I kept back to the fringe. As expected the herd hit the deep noisy ridge, which is long, thick and secure from attacks. I found lots other positive sign around the area, with more to see and find but moved out after my findings, which didn't take long, so as not to pressure them further. On coming out to the downed bull a pleasant sight- the local game warden and a young new officer. They had two trucks and there was four men sitting on the bank in between them. Long faces they had indeed- no smiles there. It was uplifting to see and meet the game wardens and I gave my appreciation of their service with great enthusiasm. Some time after leaving that area I met up with a couple young hunters and we talked the thing out with my sharing the photos and us all sharing our finds of the day. It was one of the young fellas that suggested that it was the long faced group perhaps had self reported themselves for shooting the illegal bull. Seemed to make sense to us. Thinking they are local guys, probably even work logging, certainly know that the elk were there and were hunting them. Might even be on this sight to. If so please enlighten us as to how the mistake happened, ect. Mistakes happen, and that was a bad one - let us all pray not to have such a sad day befall any of us. My day was darkened by this, I cannot imagine being the hunter to walk up to that young bull and face the hard truth on the ground and the hard job of facing the law as well. Moving forward, I'm interested in reflections ,thoughts and ideas of what the herd bull's reactions and memory will be from this. A day off today from the field. Might take my peashooter to the range and sight it in and tweek the ol buffalo gun to as brighter days are most surely ahead and there is still time to hear that magical sound my heart longs to hear, that herd bull sing!!
    RESIDENT HUNTER-"SUCK IT UP PRINCESS!"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bogus first day rifle

Yes mistakes do happen . And it would be interesting to know the story. I myself have had a couple of hunt partners make mistakes . A cow moose was shot instead of the Bull, and a 2pt was shot instead of the 4 pt. But since our groups were straight forward and self reported, we , I believe received a break. Our tags were cut, and our hunt was over for those species. The meat was brought in and processed at our cost and donated to a charity.
    It is your responsibility to make sure of your target . If in doubt , don't shoot. You will be a true sportsman and have great stories for around the campfire. The one that I let go.
    B.
    Grandpa used to say, "ya know, when you point your finger at someone , three of your fingers are pointed back at you."

Cool Re: Bogus first day rifle

Quote Originally Posted by BRrooster View Post
    Yes mistakes do happen . And it would be interesting to know the story. I myself have had a couple of hunt partners make mistakes . A cow moose was shot instead of the Bull, and a 2pt was shot instead of the 4 pt. But since our groups were straight forward and self reported, we , I believe received a break. Our tags were cut, and our hunt was over for those species. The meat was brought in and processed at our cost and donated to a charity.
    It is your responsibility to make sure of your target . If in doubt , don't shoot. You will be a true sportsman and have great stories for around the campfire. The one that I let go.
    B.
    Thx BRrooster, Great response and focus on sportsmanship
    RESIDENT HUNTER-"SUCK IT UP PRINCESS!"