Thread: Record-setting sockeye salmon harvest

Record-setting sockeye salmon harvest

“The Okanagan Nation Alliance is reporting the largest run of sockeye salmon in decades in Okanagan Lake. Roughly 60,000 were harvested with about 10,000 of them going to local First Nations bands.”
    The other 50,000 will be sold or traded.
    It begs the question, “Would you buy any of these fish?”
    First, a bit of a geography and biology lessons are in order.
    It is approximately 122 km (75 miles) from Osoyoos to Brewster Wash. where the Okanagan river enters the Columbia. From Brewster to Astoria, the confluence of the Columbia river, the approximate distance is 761 km. (Note: The distance is not the true river distance, but rather the road distance between the centres. The river meanders so it’s distance is somewhat more than those I have listed.)
    Hanford Nuclear reactor is approx. 235 km south of Brewster or 39 km north of Kennewick. From Kennewick to Astoria, 488 km. Therefore, it is 527 kilometres from Hanford to the saltchuck.
    Hanford was built in 1942 and went into production 1943. The sole purpose was plutonium production for the atomic bomb. It’s design was for a 20 year life span, however it’s operation continued until 1987 due to the Cold War. At some point in time, the or some of the tanks developed leaks which discharged into the Columbia river. The discourse is that the amount of the discharge is minimal and the volume of river water flow greatly dilutes the nuclear contamination. The Americans have been blaming Fu-Kushima for radiation contamination occurring along the Washington/Oregon coast. Would you not expect the volume of water between Fu-Kushima and Astoria to have a far greater dilution effect? I would.
    The sockeye smoults leaving Osoyoos Lake have to travel a distance of 527 km of nuclear contaminated water and the same water on their return.
    Has anybody from the ONA had an independent body test the harvested fish for radioactive contamination?
    Would I buy any of those fish? Nope!
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Record-setting sockeye salmon harvest

I dont have a degree in nuclear physics, or nuclear science, but here’s what I think!

EWWWWW, YUCK! I wouldn’t eat them for sure. I’m

Couldn't the same be said for the north thomspon river? I read they did extensive uranium mining in the hills around birch island in the 30s, 40s and 50s. It could be why clearwater and barriere have the highest radiation levels around. Uranium has a crazy long half life.

[QUOTE=Jagermeister;2360477]Roughly 60,000 were harvested with about 10,000 of them going to local First Nations bands.”
    The other 50,000 will be sold or traded.[QUOTE]

And if no one buys them we'll just dump them in the woods
    Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"

Quote Originally Posted by fourbyfourtoy View Post
    Couldn't the same be said for the north thomspon river? I read they did extensive uranium mining in the hills around birch island in the 30s, 40s and 50s. It could be why clearwater and barriere have the highest radiation levels around. Uranium has a crazy long half life.
    There very well might be as a couple of shafts in the mountains to the south of Vavenby. Truth is there is some radiation in the area of Greystokes, above Chute lake and over in the area of Brenda mines above Peachland. I remember when I was a kid, the neighbor and his mining partner running around with their Geiger counters looking for black rock.
    However, it is one thing to have some naturally occurring radiation, it's another thing to have a nuclear plant spewing it out into the air, into the water or onto the land. Hanford is puking radiation out on the level of ***ashima or Chernobyl or Three Mile Island.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I think the health of the ocean where these fish spend the majority of their lives is far more pulluted than any river.
    I'm a lead foot, whiskey drinkin' outlaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post

The sockeye smoults leaving Osoyoos Lake have to travel a distance of 527 km of nuclear contaminated water and the same water on their return.
    Has anybody from the ONA had an independent body test the harvested fish for radioactive contamination?
    The same water used by farmers and town water systems?
    you bet
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    “The Okanagan Nation Alliance is reporting the largest run of sockeye salmon in decades in Okanagan Lake. Roughly 60,000 were harvested with about 10,000 of them going to local First Nations bands.”
    The other 50,000 will be sold or traded.
    First, a bit of a geography and biology lessons are in order.
    It is approximately 122 km (75 miles) from Osoyoos to Brewster Wash. where the Okanagan river enters the Columbia. From Brewster to Astoria, the confluence of the Columbia river, the approximate distance is 761 km. (Note: The distance is not the true river distance, but rather the road distance between the centres. The river meanders so it’s distance is somewhat more than those I have listed.)
    Hanford Nuclear reactor is approx. 235 km south of Brewster or 39 km north of Kennewick. From Kennewick to Astoria, 488 km. Therefore, it is 527 kilometres from Hanford to the saltchuck.
    Hanford was built in 1942 and went into production 1943. The sole purpose was plutonium production for the atomic bomb. It’s design was for a 20 year life span, however it’s operation continued until 1987 due to the Cold War. At some point in time, the or some of the tanks developed leaks which discharged into the Columbia river. The discourse is that the amount of the discharge is minimal and the volume of river water flow greatly dilutes the nuclear contamination. The Americans have been blaming Fu-Kushima for radiation contamination occurring along the Washington/Oregon coast. Would you not expect the volume of water between Fu-Kushima and Astoria to have a far greater dilution effect? I would.
    Not a chance and nothing to do with radioactivity!