Thread: Later season sheep hunt?

Later season sheep hunt?

Anybody fee like sharing some info for heading out in October? I couldn’t make it out earlier in the season, but my schedule changed up and I might be able to do a week to 9 days in the beginning of October. Average temps where I’m looking are sub zero over night and highs of +10 during the day. I’ll be watching the forecast and it’ll be a last minute decision. I’m geared up for cold weather, my only concern is trying to pack out a heavy bag in wet snow. Maybe I’ll see what it would take to drag a skimmer or snow shoes if it looks dicy.

Im just wondering what kind of weather pushes them down and what to expect. There shouldn’t be near as many people around. The spot I’ve been going has quite a few hunters and the bands tend to get busted up around opening day, but they should be settled down by now.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Later season sheep hunt?

My last trip trip I did in October a couple seasons back was very tough. We had 8 inches of snow in the mountains which made some of the hills I wanted to climb pretty risky. Temp at night hit -15 and waking up to put on frozen solid boots is extremely unpleasant. Also hiking in the snow is much more draining than early season especially if you are pushing any wet / snowy buck brush, I would expect to hike shorter distance each day than early season, plus the days are also getting shorter so less time to spend hiking / glassing.

The biggest benefit is you probably wont have any concerns about meat spoilage and you can sometimes make out fresh tracks with a light dusting of snow from a mountain range away. Personally I have no intentions on any further October trips for sheep in the near future, only August or September moving forward. Power to you, but in my opinion, the reason less people head out late season is because it is a much tougher hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
    My last trip trip I did in October a couple seasons back was very tough. We had 8 inches of snow in the mountains which made some of the hills I wanted to climb pretty risky. Temp at night hit -15 and waking up to put on frozen solid boots is extremely unpleasant. Also hiking in the snow is much more draining than early season especially if you are pushing any wet / snowy buck brush, I would expect to hike shorter distance each day than early season, plus the days are also getting shorter so less time to spend hiking / glassing.

The biggest benefit is you probably wont have any concerns about meat spoilage and you can sometimes make out fresh tracks with a light dusting of snow from a mountain range away. Personally I have no intentions on any further October trips for sheep in the near future, only August or September moving forward. Power to you, but in my opinion, the reason less people head out late season is because it is a much tougher hunt.
    I hear you on the frozen boots thing. I’ve camped in some pretty cold temps before and that’s the absolute worst thing to do in the morning. I do have a backpacking woodstove I can bring that would make life better.

My biggest concern is it’s a 20k or more hike before I can start shooting. Snow and a heavy bag drastically changes everything. I’d much rather go earlier but time dictates I can go now so I’m going to give it a go and see if I die or not.

Man, i wish i had your problem...but i was'nt successful in the leh sheep draw. Pulling on frozen Salomon's ? Yes please!