Thread: Care to Share What you know About 7-20 Moose?

Care to Share What you know About 7-20 Moose?

This will be my second attempt at getting my first moose.

Leave for Dawson Creek (7-20) Wednesday morning and will hunt hard from the 16th to the 22. Would love to know what techniques will help me get a bull this time of year in the area, as well as potential places that I could set my wall tent camp up. Will have truck/atv for travel

I assume with the warm weather, I might like to hunt near water, as well as early morning/late evening

Appreciate any help you can be. I don't always get to play and would sure love to get bullwinkle on the ground this year

Spike-fork/tri-palm/10 point so may be a disappointment but I'm going to put in 110%

Cheers
    Blacktail Nut

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Care to Share What you know About 7-20 Moose?

Get into the black spruce if it’s hot, we used to hunt between Dawson and Tumbler and usually did well, use the seismic lines to you advantage, (for travel and spotting) and look for meadows full of red willows and look for sign (the tips of the bushes eaten off, track and scat), or just atv around until you see one? Once you find major sign then hangout there…
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I haven't been to that area in 12 or 15 years but did hunt for moose there for about 8 years in a row. [ went with a group that had been going for 25/30 years and still do a bit ] We were near the pine river/ east pine? We either did a lot of sitting/watching or walking through the timber. Like the other guy said , use the seismic lines to your advantage. The game trails in that region are so well used that they are easy to follow and quiet for walking on. The seismic lines all seem to be on a grid pattern so you could wander on the game trails until you hit a mainline and then circle back to camp. There were also quite a few tree stands built near where we hunted so we would spend time in those too. I slept in a couple of them for a night. It might be totally different there now but I'm guessing not.

Early morning and last light are your friend especially with this heat.

Right at first light in the fields, and in the lowest ravines in the thick dark bush during hot days.