Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It’s on!

It’s on!

Good luck to all you birdheads out there. Keep your dogs healthy and your organics bin feathery!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: It’s on!

What an excellent opening morning here around the loops! How has everyone done today? As always it was a blast hiking and watching the dog work.

My two Weims put up 7 roughs in a short walk. I shot two. Could have taken more, but this spot is 3 minutes from the house and it’s a long season. Just wanted enough for dinner. A good training day for the pup. She has a serious nose on her!

I had my little guy out today stalking some mallards at the storm pond down the street. He chased after a couple of them, but stayed pretty steady for the most part. He’s gone a bit backwards with his training and isn’t listening as well as he was a couple weeks ago. I think I have to focus on training g outside more where there’s more distractions.

I have one more night shift and then I’m off all week so we should be able to get out after some grouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    He’s gone a bit backwards with his training and isn’t listening as well as he was a couple weeks ago.
    How old is he? It’s very common for pups to digress in their listening skills at a certain age. That age differs slightly by breed, but I bet that’s what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    How old is he? It’s very common for pups to digress in their listening skills at a certain age. That age differs slightly by breed, but I bet that’s what it is.
    He’s 4-5 months old now. I was thinking a bit more about it last night. He was head down snifffimg the ground around the pond lots and was probably going nuts with all the bird scent.

I also ran out of treats for about a week so he wasn’t rewarded for behaving. He’s come a long ways with heeling in the last week too so it’s probably a I’m imagining of things.

I didn't notice your dog having a "E" collar on. I don't know if you're in favour of them or not. But I can only remark on my personal experience with "E" collars. I'm on my 4th lab now and still have my 3rd lab that is now 9yrs. All of them were conditioned to "E" collars ( I call the collar a listening enhancer LOL, because it works). I use the Dogtra 2300 NCP ( N for nick, C for constant, P for page). Once they were conditioned my dogs rarely need any more stimulation than page which is just vibration when they seem to have gone deaf. It seem's that the dog's associate the collar to good time's like training or just going for a walk. My dogs don't leave home with out the collar on.

A 4-5 month old pup doesn't need an e-collar.
    At this time he just needs exposure to birds in different places and scenarios. They're very easily distracted at this age.
    No harsh commands or punishment. Just guidance to set him up with positive situations so he can learn that he's having fun when he's with you.
    I had a Brittany and he was an awesome little buddy and hunter.
    Have fun

4-5 months is early for “teen defiance”, so I would just put it down to puppy. I personally have not found it necessary to use an e-collar, but every dog is different. Don’t train more than 15-20 mins per day, and if your dog does what you ask 3x, end it there with a ton of positive reinforcement.

I took just the pup out today and she definitely stays closer to me when solo. I told her I would back her up if a BIG bird came out of the woods She put up 7 birds, but we were in deeper woods. I only pulled on one, but it was an impossible shot, and no birds came home.

I see what you guys mean by prey drive. I had the pooch out for a few hours today on leash. He was nose to the ground everywhere and when he got on fresh scent it was like a light switch going off and I could barely keep up through the trees. He spooked it without seeing it, but definitely a good exercise. We searched around for a bit but couldn’t figure out where it went. I think he was at his time limit for his age anyways.

It was pretty intense. I have a few spots where I always see birds, but I don’t have anywhere close to my house where I can walk for a few hours running into birds.