Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tire chains, who keeps them in their truck?

Re: Tire chains, who keeps them in their truck?

Yep, I run em a fair bit.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

1 set always in the truck 2 sets in the winter

Yeap, no brainer for me when the snow flies. I even use 'em on occasion.

... and yeap on the old Hilux Surf...

Shoulda put them on before backing into here. Almost ended up in a deep hole. Took me an hour of digging before I had enough confidence to try ekeing her out... Good thing the ground wasn't completely frozen as I only had a small polymer avalanche shovel to dig with.

Speaking of chains - question for you guys. I bought VBars according to the size chart and carry them in my truck but have yet to use them. I put them on my truck in the driveway and they seem a bit too big, like a few links should be cut off. How do you guys size them before you put them on your truck? I dont want extra chain swinging around and whipping the shit out of my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    Speaking of chains - question for you guys. I bought VBars according to the size chart and carry them in my truck but have yet to use them. I put them on my truck in the driveway and they seem a bit too big, like a few links should be cut off. How do you guys size them before you put them on your truck? I dont want extra chain swinging around and whipping the shit out of my truck.
    I bought the size to fit my tires from Wesco. Used them a number of times last winter. Worked great!
    Most likely there will be "extra" links, but I use a snap hook (there's other names for them), to avoid the links swinging around.

Shoot me a PM if you want to go through it..

I like trigs, very aggressive. Tighten the inside first, make adjustments on the outside. Use quick links and bungee cords to take out the slack. If you must trim, leave 4-5 links as a tail. I carry 2 sets.

Haven't used any on my own trucks since I got out of the army 30 years ago. But I always have a bunch in the shed to lend out to friends.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    And they will stretch as well when you run them so you'll always need to tighten them and over time need to shorten them. For that your going to need a set of chain pliers. The extra length of chain links can be dealt with by running the boomer through them so they aren't whipping around and beating the hell out of your truck or tearing a brake line off.
    Lots of time you think you've gotten them tight but just drive a short distance and retighten them and keep your speed down, they're not made to run fast, 40 kms max or you'll be buying new tires for the drive home.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Interesting mike . I always put chains on the front first ... only on the back if in a 2wd or if on all 4 .

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Ok thanks for pointing that out, can’t believe how wrong I was and how right you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I don't know why he always attacks me so vicously.

Have never chained the front, rear has 2wd ing so thats better than one up front
    plus for me steering has never been the issue

Adjust the crosslink spacing so the chains can be put on over top and cinched without having to role the vehicle onto the chain
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC