Thread: Iphone 14

2slow is offline Seeing any?-yup,last week

Iphone 14

Just saw this come up on one of my other forums. Iphone basically just put spot and companies like it out of business.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41EdCXjotmo
    Stand for what you believe in or step aside

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Iphone 14

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Just saw this come up on one of my other forums. Iphone basically just put spot and companies like it out of business.

that really depends, can you only contact emergency services ? While extremely handy, most people use the other devices to communicate in the field or keep loved ones up to date on there where abouts.

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Maybe in a couple years but they are not there yet. It's just an SOS button. No text message capabilities and you have to point it up at the sky and follow the satellites.

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    Maybe in a couple years but they are not there yet. It's just an SOS button. No text message capabilities and you have to point it up at the sky and follow the satellites.
    ^^^ exactly... SOS to emergency services only, not for checking in with the wife or asking a buddy to help you out because your rig broke down.

That said if the only reason you pack a satellite gadget is for SOS like you're pinned under a tree that fell on yo (funny enough almost happened to me last weekend by a couple feet, would have took some limb action if I didn't guess the right way to scoot) then for sure it's a good perk there, maybe worth considering

Maybe in a few years with all these satellites going up there, casual sat messaging from phones on the cheap could become a thing. Heck maybe those Starlink dishes will get smaller and better, even phone size or built into phones.

I use the inreach to keep my wife and mom posted with coordinates and check ins on solo trips so they don't worry as much and if something does happen and they don't hear from me, they have recent coordinates and caddisgirl can track me from there and find me before the critters do

Even back when we were stranded in the bush during last years floods, that's not an SOS, never considered pressing that button... there has to be immediate risk to life for emergency services. Was able to text with a buddy though who helped us out big time

Good step forward, but doesn't compete with inreach/spot/etc much quite yet as most of that market is non-SOS but still important communication
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-09-2022 at 11:01 PM.

Apparently friends and family can actually see your location via satellite on the find my iPhone app similar to how it functions now. Messaging will be next I’d assume. Apple doesn’t typically enter a market without much grander plans for future dominance. The cameras on the new phone sound pretty impressive as well. They also released a new watch version that is edging closer to a garmin/suunto watches functionality with a way better interface/user experience. My prediction is apple will ne class leading in the next 5 years with this type of product and I wouldn’t put it past them to buy iridium or garmin. Iridium is worth 5.73/bln, garmin 17.52/bln, apple 2.53 trillion with a T.
    Garmin could certainly use a tutorial in interface usability and user experience

Up until not too long ago we've been a pretty much exclusive apple house, I also use windows everyday at work as well. I'm surprised the latest iPhone can't do what my inReach has been able to do for years. Kind of a surprise apple is so far behind. I can't wait to see what the competition comes out with, then I'll have to ditch the inReach for a battery pack.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    That said if the only reason you pack a satellite gadget is for SOS like you're pinned under a tree that fell on yo (funny enough almost happened to me last weekend by a couple feet)
    I don’t know why, but as I was reading this line (without having looked at who posted as I was just scanning), I thought to myself “it’s gotta be Caddis”!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I’m just starting to poke around the new iPhone options and was looking at the 13 mini. I hate a big phone. Hope they do an even smaller 14 mini with this tech.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.