Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to start a hunting tradition in my family

Going to start a hunting tradition in my family

Please, I want some guidance, young, 18 new to hunting.

I got my Hunting license and a mule deer tag, Camo, and everything I need for camping. I want to go on a deer hunt this year on region 2 or 8 during November from around Whisler to Penticton and whatever is in-between.

I don't know how much days it takes to harvest a deer, but I have a job and I think 4 days should be enough time, I THINK don't know. Anyways what do you guys think I should do to start my passion?

Tips on how I should plan my hunt would help me so much because I'm pretty alown in this. None of my family really cares about hunting or is as passioned as I am about it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Going to start a hunting tradition in my family

Whistler to Penticton is a HUGE area. With only 4 days, I would pick an area (valley, clearcut etc.) with deer sign and spend all 4 days there hunting the edge habitat. Don't walk through the middle of clearings, stay 10m in the bush and glass the opposite side. And do not get into thinking more gear will make you a better hunter- deer see movement, whether it's blue jeans or camo. Get the book "The Still Hunter" by Theodore Van Dyke - read it, do what he says, and you will be successful. Speaking from experience as I started out the same way as you.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

4 days? It might be 4 hours, 4 days or 40 days. Or not at all.

As this new of a hunter it could be 5 years before you shoot something. 4 days is a short period of time when it comes to deer hunting.
    As said above it could take a day. It could take 3 it could take 5 years.
    I’d suggest region 8 for easier areas to hunt I think. In those 4 days just focus on having fun. See new things. See new places. Maybe see a deer. Every time you go out you’ll learn new things. Even after 30 years in the woods always building on your hunting knowledge.
    good luck out there and welcome to the club

also I think you need to start with a joke still as first time poster haha.

Do yourself a favor and buy a whitetail tag as well....and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    4 days? It might be 4 hours, 4 days or 40 days. Or not at all.
    Definitely! Need to prepare to spend a lot of time before getting your first big game - or you might 1st day

I've learned a ton (self taught) since I started and am definitely a better hunter - still lots to learn, which is why I enjoy the challenge.

cheers,
    BR
    forever noob

Do yourself a favour and head up north of merrit and you’ll get into deer feel free to pm me. I can point you in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    As this new of a hunter it could be 5 years before you shoot something. 4 days is a short period of time when it comes to deer hunting.
    I’d suggest region 8 for easier areas to hunt I think. In those 4 days just focus on having fun. See new things. See new places. Maybe see a deer. Every time you go out you’ll learn new things. Even after 30 years in the woods always building on your hunting knowledge.

This.....find the sign and hunt it, patience is key...

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post

This.....find the sign and hunt it, patience is key...

Thinking that you are a Lower Mainlander / Fraser Valley guy based on your preferred areas to hunt?
    As mentioned, 8 is easier access / hunting, just head out #3 and hit a few FSR's before Princeton - Blackmine for example.
    Whipsaw but that gets pretty busy.
    Read up beforehand on how to deal with the kill if you are so lucky.
    Who knows, you might get lucky first time out, I did, maybe 15 minutes from our cabin, beautiful sunny day, was great. Trouble with that scenario is you then believe it will be that easy every time you go out. Trust me, it ain't that easy.
    Good luck, enjoy the experience regardless of success.